Know thyself? If I knew myself, I’d run away. –Johann Wolfgang van

It seems so crazy, the world we live in now. A few weeks ago, I was literally whining and complaining about how my husband and I seriously needed a vacation. I would endlessly lament about how all I did was work, prep meals for my family, and take care of my child.

Now, I would give anything to put on makeup or go to a real, live yoga class. It’s sort of like, during this seemingly super apocalyptic moment of time, we’re climbing the walls to get out of our homes and our heads. Who would have ever known that being a homebody would be so virtually terrifying?

To me, it’s sort of like there is just so much time on my hands that I almost don’t want to do anything. I find myself lying around watching Real Housewives of New York City and The Tiger King while all these crazy thoughts run through my head.

I should have really absorbed that last moment in the public, like really savored it; who knows when I’ll be out again. Am I stimulating my daughter enough or is she going to have flashbacks of Real Housewives cast members getting “Ramona’ed” by Ramona Singer? Or, Will I have to soon start using cocktail napkins in place of toilet paper?

But lately, my thoughts have been shifting. Maybe instead of stressing so much about things I can’t control, maybe a part of me is also enjoying this time I’ve been blessed with to explore things I’ve since been neglecting. I realized after about twenty-five days of complaining, a whole bunch of FaceTime calls, and probably way too much coffee, I’ve been gifted this time. To get to spend with my daughter, to go through my belongings and purge the things that no longer serve me, to better my yoga practice and get fit in the process and to explore all the things I haven’t had a chance to lately. (And I mean “lately” as in “prior to this pandemic”.)

It also hit me during this downtime that it’s really easy to let time, and your life, just pass you by. That realization really frightened me; it really made me want to jump up and grab life by the steering wheel. It made me crave the ability to take back my control.

If you don’t get lost, there’s a chance you may never be found. –Anonymous

I started seeing all these women I admire using their down time to (what it looked like to me) fervently pursue their dreams. They were putting themselves out there and making their mark. They were super motivating and inspiring and I found myself having some serious FOMO and maybe, even a little jealousy. I kept saying to myself, I want that! I’ve always wanted that! What’s happened to me?

I have always loved to write. And for the last however many years, I have been blogging about a variety of things from love and relationships, to men and domestic violence awareness. From being a mom and trying to really find myself, to yoga, wellness and friendships. I’ve also very seriously started (and not finished) a hand full of novels.

It has always been a cathartic outlet for me and something that has been incredibly fulfilling (even those things that have only been seen by my eyes). And up until recently, I never really suffered from writer’s block because my brain was just always working.

But recently, things started to change. I battled what I had assumed was post-partum depression for awhile and I couldn’t think of much to say. My mind was tired and it seemed like when I did have a creative idea, I didn’t have the moment or motivation to put it to paper. When I would go into my office, which was once a loving and creative space where I spent tons of time, I saw nothing but a failing business.

I was reminded of all the things I saw as my failures and shortcoming and just like that, my creativity died. I felt shameful and unmotivated when I would see my friends moving forward with their various successes. While there I was, somehow unwilling or unable to get my shit together.

I saw people with more kids than me, people who worked more jobs or hours than me, who were somehow just doing things better. I hate to admit this, but I absolutely fell into the comparison trap. I wasn’t doing things right because I wasn’t happy. I wasn’t successful because I wasn’t using the time I had properly. And I didn’t realize it at the time, but I had no time management skills because I wasn’t in the right headspace to get things done.

I was coasting. And everyone was leaving me behind.

Moral of the Crazy: I soon realized that the only thing that was holding me back was me. And it’s a scary realization to see that you’re the one getting in your own way; to understand that the only person you can blame your problems on is you.

I decided that I had to go back to basics. I suddenly had all this relatively free time on my hands, thanks to a worldwide pandemic. Now, what was I going to do with it? A person can only watch so much television, am I right? Maybe that was part of my problem. My brain was growing stagnant because it no longer had to think.

I also started to have these insecurities, which I have always had, but I started to really wonder: do people even read anymore? Do people really care what I have to say? I mean, people that claim to care about me barely even talk to me, why would I be so certain that they would actually read what I want to write?

But that was just my own lack of self-confidence talking. Because sometimes the people that care just get busy. And honestly, people are going to read what they want to read, whether it’s considered trendy or not. I know I do.

So I guess what I’m saying is that it took me awhile to see this quarantine for what it truly is: a safe haven to reflect, to grow, and to catch up on things.

To take the time to really remember who you are.

And while the quarantine is exhausting and hard in a lot of ways, it’s also refreshing. There is a sweet sense of solidarity in the air because we’re all in this together. When I see all the positive posts on social media, it motivates me.

It sets my soul on fire.

So I’m here to tell you that I’m here for you. That I will truck through this pandemic with you. Because right now, while we’re not physically together, it doesn’t mean we’re alone.

There is more to come, so much more. So break out your Lysol and stay safe. Keep a watchful eye on that creativity because it just might show up when you least expect it.


A person often meets his destiny on the road he took to avoid it. –Jean de La Fontaine     

Comments