You'll never find the right person if you don't let go of the wrong one. -Unknown


The other day, a couple girlfriends and I were discussing how to find your “end guy” over probably way too much alcohol. (Those appletinis really pack a wallop, don’t they? But you know what they say, in vino veritas.) To be honest, I don’t even really know how the conversation started. It was sort of like, “I’ll get another appletini please, Carlos.” (Carlos, whose name I later learned his name from my receipt when I sobered up, was the bartender who told me I had mermaid hair and asked to see pictures of my daughter. I obviously drunkenly showed him like forty-seven because I have no shame in my mama game.) And then, “Listen, here’s what you should do, [newly single] best friend.”

And it’s funny because I don’t know why I even tried to get on my high horse. I don’t know anything about relationships. I didn’t have many good ones (except for my current one and like everyone else, even we have our own issues) and the good ones I did have, I sort of messed up on my own. The rest of them, well, most of you have read my blog. Men are just awful. I’m sure that even Carlos the Flirty Bartender has his faults.

But to be fair, and it’s coming back to me slowly because alcohol wasn’t (or maybe was?) my friend that night, I guess I really only commented every now and again while the real expert shared her thoughts.

My other girlfriend, the aforementioned expert, is newly married and has had her own share of rocky relationships. (Haven’t we all? Seriously, aren’t men just terrible??) But she’s been around the world in other ways and has met lots of people. She was making this case to my best friend that it’s good to sort of get around the block, both in life and with men, so that you’re able to weed out the qualities you really desire in another person. And to be honest, while it might have come across as her telling my best friend to just put on a crop top and put herself out there, I could totally understand her logic because you don’t always choose the first car you test drive.

But something that I thought about afterward and maybe might have somewhat coherently mentioned in the moment (who remembers? It was #momsnightout, after all.) is that while I totally understand this logic, what if you give your best to just one person and there’s nothing left for your “end guy”?

Cause I gave my heart to a goddamn fool. I gave him everything, now there’s nothing left for you. –Sam Smith, Nothing Left for You

So in my case, and I sort of drunkenly said this in one of the few moments where Carlos left us, I was in what I thought was a pretty serious relationship for what I thought, at the time, was a long time. I mean, now that I’m older and have been with the same person for twelve years, I realize that that was just a literal blink in time. It feels like a lifetime ago; like I was a totally different person.

But in the moment I was living it, it felt real. And while now I struggle to even say his name, at that moment, I thought the relationship was going somewhere. I thought all the stuff that I went through were things that would make us stronger. I thought things would change because I could force them to. I thought he would be nicer over time because he would see how hard I had tried to become the person he wanted. I thought that my parents would grow to love him, despite everything that had happened and I thought that if not, I had a whole family of firefighters who loved me and treated me like I was theirs.

But you know what? One morning I woke up and things changed. It was like I had gotten a bad taste in my mouth that I could not, even kind of to this day, get rid of.

I became bitter and maybe even a little bit hateful. I started to really hate men, as much as I’ve always tried not to admit that, even to this day. I started to sift through the nonsense really quickly and could tell from three sentences what men wanted from me. I started to see intimacy as something I just had to do and kind of was over it before I really even hit my prime. I sort of craved attention but got super annoyed when men looked at me or tried to flirt with me.

And I feel like the ability to do that is something that only comes with time. And, rather unfortunately, dating all the wrong people. My newly married girlfriend kept saying you literally need to get out there and go through about ten men; once you’ve done that, you’ll have a better idea about what you really want in a partner. My best friend’s eyes were darting back and forth between us and I was literally thinking to myself: if I wound up with the person I first experienced intercourse with, I would have a really sad and unfulfilling life.

But sometimes it’s better to just let those thoughts live in your head where they can’t annoy anybody.

While my one girlfriend was saying that it took her a few people to find the one she connected with physically, I was thinking about how certain aspects of sex are just physical acts. I was thinking about how I gave literally every piece of me to someone and did things that now I would probably laugh at because there’s no way I’d even consider them. I was thinking about how your “end guy” (or person) sort of doesn’t get the best of you because maybe someone else already has.

I never, ever go to that place because honestly, I’m just so far removed from it all but in that bar, I drunkenly grabbed both my friends and I said, “[He who shall not be named] got the best of me,” gradual eye contact shift to my best friend, “and you don’t want that.”

Moral of the Crazy: I really feel like I could go on and on about this but my husband says that people don’t really read anymore so I’m trying to keep it short and sweet. I also don’t want to claim to be a relationship or dating expert because selfishly, if my best friend stays single awhile longer, that leaves her free to be at my beck and call. (Don’t you judge me: good friends are hard to find.)

But back to Carlos, the appletinis and my two homegirls at the bar: I guess what I’m seeing from my perspective is that my best friend went through a similar situation to mine. The little facts are different but she gave her very best to someone and he manipulated her. He lied about the most basic of things and sort of controlled various aspects of her life.

The relationship was literally all about him on most occasions and it didn’t seem like he was willing to do much of anything for her, including meet me or any of her other friends and family. But I feel like when you’re new and naïve to dating, that’s kind of what happens. You want to do things right, you want to most likely marry the first person you’re with because the infatuation is real, and you want to make sure you’re being the person they want you to be.

And unfortunately, for me, at least, it took me a handful of people to understand that that sort of behavior wasn’t what I wanted. It took me a few dates and failures to realize that I didn’t like certain language or an extreme lack of manners. I didn’t like being blown off and I didn’t like really showy, overconfident men because from my experience, that meant they really didn’t have much to offer.

But I never would have known this if I didn’t get out there and experience it for myself. (And obviously turn them down because they all sucked…)

I also really saw her bending over backwards for this man and I get it: that’s something that you should be willing to do in relationships. It’s all a little bit of give and take from both sides and I think it’s the meeting in the middle that can sometimes be so important for relationships.

Like, hey, I’m not particularly interested in the Super Bowl but I’m going to watch it and hopefully enjoy the Jennifer Lopez Halftime presentation. Why? Because my husband cares a lot about football; he isn’t interested in who’s playing. He’s interested in the game. And because I love him, I’m okay with him being happy for four hours, even if it’s something I don’t particularly care about.

I was keeping this short, right?

The point is, I’ve had to kiss lots of frogs, tadpoles and to be honest, yucky cockroaches to get my end guy. And I just hope I treat him in the manner he deserves. I just hope he knows I love him, even if he got me when I was done putting up with extraneous nonsense.

But maybe we’re on the same page. Because maybe he’s been through enough of his own brand of crazy to know that I was worth keeping. At least for a little while.

Reputation precedes me; they told you I’m crazy. I swear I don’t love the drama, it loves me. –Taylor Swift, End Game

Comments