Don’t let your struggle become your identity. –Unknown

Are you guys every just like, Give me a PSL and the new Demi Moore memoir because life is insane and I need a break, or is that just me? Do you ever just crave a break and some silence? Moms, you feel me or nah?

Life has been literally so crazy the last couple of weeks (and don’t even get me started on this godforsaken time change…) and I’ve been really feeling the weight of neglecting my favorite pastimes. I know that we’re all busy and I’m sure we all feel like this from time to time, sort of stuck in that everyday rut of life, but I literally feel like all I’ve done is work, sleep, and entertain people. I feel like I’ve had no time to myself lately and not in the you can’t even use the bathroom by yourself because that’s mom life kind of way. But in the I literally haven’t had three seconds to remember what day it is kind of way.

My house was literally half a wreck until yesterday when I spent my first day off in forever cleaning, doing dishes, and washing what felt like weeks’ worth of clothes. (And spoiler alert: I still didn’t get everything done.) I seriously need to buy new pants because none of mine fit at the moment and I almost certainly need to wash my hair.

Is this how life is for everyone? Is it just me? Because to be honest, I feel like lately I’ve been neglecting the people and things that are really important to me. I’m curious as to whether or not this is normal because to be real with you guys, it’s hard not to feel like I’m sort of failing right now.

Is this common, this sometimes chronic feeling of feeling uninspired? I wouldn’t call it depressed or unhappy really but just more exhausted with the daily grind and unmotivated to do anything fun. Am I the only one?

My husband and I do the opposite schedule thing because we don’t have childcare at the moment and recently my dad came to visit. He’s super fun and works a lot so when he’s on vacation it’s like, party mode all the time. I almost always drink too much, eat too much, cry about how many carbs I ate and then promise to diet super hardcore everyday until he comes again.

Well, this time, I was just blah. I was just so tired from working so much (and to be fair, it’s probably not so much compared to anyone else but coupled with taking care of my super active two-year-old, it’s a lot. For me, anyway.) and lately everything gives me a headache so I had one beer with him at the hotel bar and then said I was done.

Then he ordered a pizza from the place across from where he was staying (which I’ve heard is rave-worthy) and I took a few bites and said I was full. Nothing tasted good. Nothing helped me to really relax and enjoy myself. I guess I can’t explain it other than blah.

So the next day, we traveled across the state to visit my sister for an overnight trip. Sure, that promises to be exhausting. It’s a lot of driving in one day, it was a long, early day for my daughter, and then my sister had me out running errands with her. Everyone (except me) drank too much and we ate too late. I was grumpy, tired, ready for bed, and again, just not really relaxing in the way I like to.

No food tasted good. No alcohol comforted me in the way that it has in the past and aside from my lifelong camaraderie with my sister and how cute it was to see my sleepy child refusing to stop playing, the overnight stay was just blah.

And I feel really bad saying that because it wasn’t anything that anyone did. It was me. I feel like I’m just in an immovable state right now. Nothing tastes good on my tongue and nothing really satisfies me. It’s kind of like those stories of the proverbial hell where your thirst is incessantly unquenched, where you eat until you’ve literally stuffed yourself but you’re still hungry.

You’re just sort of stagnant. Not happy, not sad, just there.

We would never tell someone with a broken leg that they should stop wallowing and get it together. We don’t consider taking medication for an ear infection something to be ashamed of. –Michelle Obama

I’ve noticed it a lot with the people in my life too. And to be honest, it’s sort of hard for me to talk about because I don’t want to offend anyone. With some of my family and close friends, it’s especially hard to even bring up because I don’t know how to say that I just don’t feel like myself without causing alarm. Because I’m totally fine; I’m just blah.

One of my girlfriends texted me a couple weeks ago and she asked me how I was doing and I responded back, “I’ve been better,” and when she didn’t respond back, at first I was like, “She’s not even going to ask me what I mean by that…?” But then I thought about it and I just assumed that she knew how I was feeling. That it wasn’t something I could really open up about because it was sort of hard to explain.

And it’s not a ding to any one person in my life. I can tell that people care about me because they check in every so often and as I tell myself, if they didn’t care, they wouldn’t ask. But sometimes it’s just hard to pull out that part of your brain and show it to people, even people that love you. Because for me, I get it, it’s weird. It’s hard to explain and I just can’t put a finger on how I’m feeling.

I probably sound, like I’ve always feared, like a mental patient. Like someone who hasn’t got her wires crossed quite right and I hate that feeling of inadequacy, especially when it’s something I can’t control.

And sometimes, retreating is the only way I know how to not seem crazy. No news is good news, right? Because even just typing this “out loud” for the world to see is giving me second thoughts. But I know I can’t be the only one who’s felt this before.

A few weeks ago, my best friend and I spent Halloween together with my daughter because my husband had to close at work. A few days prior to that, I had told her that I wasn’t feeling like myself, that maybe my postpartum anxiety or whatever was coming back, that I was embarrassed to say it but that I was like, craving to hang out with her. When we got together on Halloween, she kept talking to me and asking me questions about what was going on and honestly, I just didn’t feel up to talking. Trying to explain everything I was feeling and even talking about some of the current events in my life seemed exhausting.

But just being around her made me feel ten times brighter.

And maybe it was because I didn’t have to explain how I felt. Because she could sense it, she could feel who I was inside at that moment, and she knew that just being there was enough. Because sometimes I get messed up and it’s hard for me to open up on a relatable level to people who aren’t total nut jobs. (And I totally mean that in the nicest, most endearing way possible.)

Moral of the Crazy: I started this blog a few weeks ago and quite frankly, just didn’t have the energy or the time to finish and post it. I’m picking it up at a different time in my mood cycle (so to speak) and I’m telling you, I feel so much better.

For awhile there, my child was in the habit of not napping, which was super strange for me and also, super freaking exhausting. I was running on a lot less sleep than normal, I was working a lot more than usual (I’m actually still doing both of those things, now that I think about it… #timechange), and I think I just have really semi-serious ups and downs since I had a child. Sure, my kid napping again has helped, this minor weather change has helped (now that it’s not stick-to-your-car-seats hot) but the reality is, I think sometimes, people just have moments.

A few weeks ago, when I was still feeling the effects of this aforementioned rut, my aunt and I were talking on the phone and she asked me how I was feeling. Because I wasn’t sure what she meant, I said, “How do you mean?” and she said, “Well, I can sense you’ve been a little down for a little while.”

Since I’m writing this blog in two segments, in two vastly different moods (I’m sure that’s obvious), I’ve had some time to think about all of this. It’s sort of like childbirth: you tend to forget the pain of what you’ve felt in the past and honestly, that’s just your brain’s incredible ability to heal itself.

The truth is that I thought I sort of slinked away like an ugly shadow when I started having these feelings but people noticed. And maybe it’s because I wasn’t blowing them up with funny gifs and comments but maybe it’s just because they cared enough to notice. The other friend that I mentioned earlier, who didn’t remark when I said that I had “been better” made a similar comment.

I felt the need to apologize to her because honestly, I’ve just been a shitty friend to everyone lately. I haven’t called people back or really reached out to anyone the last few weeks simply because of how I was feeling. You know what she said back? “I knew something was off with you; sometimes we need to step away. I knew you’d be back.” Then, of course, she asked me a few specific questions about how I was feeling, if it was anything specific that had happened to make me feeling this way, etc.

I guess I’m writing about all of this because this is new territory for me. Sure, I’ve always had anxiety on the relatively normal spectrum (unless you ask my husband…) but I’ve never really had any specific up or down feelings. I know I’m “okay” but now I struggle with how to feel better sometimes because it’s hormonal, it’s awkward to talk about, and sometimes I don’t get any reprieve at all. Sometimes I can’t just “go blow off steam”, so it takes me some time to get back to “being me”.

The truth is, I know I’m not special; I know I’m not the only one who has ever felt this way. But for me, personally, it’s awkward to open up about. I have a really hard time coming forward with my husband and even my close friends because how do you say, “I just don’t feel [mentally] well and I can’t explain why”?

Maybe it is hormonal and maybe babies mess you up (just a joke, guys). And while maybe it’s also getting easier and easier to talk about (thanks to awesome celebrities who really strip down and are honest with their public), sometimes, the struggle is just real. Too real.

I just want you to know, if you’re like me, or even if you’re not, I’m a vault. You can always talk to me. And you know what? All my friends are golden in that way. I think every single one of my friends would be physically tortured before they would rat out some neurotic nonsense I told them.

Because when it comes down to it, we’re all just people. We’re all wearing the same panties and putting our leggings on one leg at a time. I mean, unless you don’t wear leggings and then, just, bye. (… mostly kidding.)

Take care of yourself first. I love you. And so do your people.

Just because you don’t understand it doesn’t mean it isn’t so. –Lemony Snicket, The Blank Book

Comments