Being sick feels like you’re wearing someone else’s glasses. –Megan Boyle


It’s that time of year again, beautiful friends. It’s fall, the time when Florida officially dips below one hundred degrees. It’s autumn, the time when you can bring your babies out to the local blueberry farms and pumpkin patches. It’s time for pumpkin spice lattes (my personal favorite), Hans Solo outfits, and lots and lots of flannel. It’s officially my favorite time of year and also, the time for seasonal sicknesses, y’all.

I literally don’t know what’s been going on in my house. It seems like we’re just passing sicknesses around like a peace pipe. One day it’s me, the next day it’s my daughter, and then soon it affects my husband and practically everyone he works with. I’ve been pumping Emergen-C and Thrive Boost packets like it’s my job and it just doesn’t seem to matter. With this glorious weather change seems to come all kinds of funky illnesses. Am I right?

I’m not really the person who gets sick often. In fact, my super macho husband seems to be the one who has the weaker immune system. (Imagine that, if you will. Maybe it’s from all my years in child care, retail and the child safety system.) I actually haven’t been officially “sick” since about 2012, when I was working at Victoria’s Secret and I had bronchitis AND the flu at the same time. That was super fun. Although I did read like six true crime books that week; one of them being Helter Skelter. So I would say it was a pretty productive week.

But while I never get sick, per say, I have a lot of days of not feeling well. And I try to do the mind over matter thing because I can’t just spend my life not feeling good, right? But sometimes, I get migraines for days. Sometimes no matter what I eat, it bothers me. And sometimes the air is just disgusting and I have a hard time breathing. (I never been tested officially for asthma, if there even is a test for that, but it was just the common thought that I had it throughout my life. And because of that, I spend the majority of my life hating smokers and envying people who can just breathe easily in any situation.)

And on those [multitude] of days when I don’t feel well, I do this thing that drives my husband insane. And it’s really only because I seriously can’t help it.

I say, over and over again, that I don’t feel well. I know it’s annoying AF, you guys. But something about saying it out loud helps to alleviate what I’m feeling. I also have this theory that if I should die mysteriously during a nap or in the middle of the night, I want someone to be able to say, “Well, she said she wasn’t feeling well.” I don’t want them to be plagued with the fact that “nothing was wrong”.

Morbid, I know. I have this sick fascination with death. Remember the true crime novels? I’m just trying to be practical, really.

The fact that we are living does not mean we are not sick. –Joseph Brodsky   

So I have this super cute, hippie girlfriend who lives across the street from me. I’ve mentioned her recently because now she’s my new yoga partner. But for those of you who don’t know, she is a wellness advocate and natural living guru who just literally stuns me with her knowledge. I feel like I get smarter just listening to her talk and honestly, maybe it’s her general aura or the fact that she lives a really healthy life, but I can literally breathe easier around her.

Well, because of said extensive knowledge about living naturally and organically (which is basically my one goal in life: to live healthfully and naturally), my little girlfriend across the street has become my resident “witch doctor”. I literally text with every ailment my family has. She’s sort of like the Think Dirty app if it were a person. She literally knows so much about food, essential oils, exercises, and how to avoid everyday carcinogens so I can’t help but text her with a question every three seconds.

Poor thing is probably going to change her number and move out of my neighborhood soon…

With every complaint, ailment or sickness that I had, she would swing by and leave a sample of the oils she sells in the crevice of my front door. She would tell me the various benefits of whatever oil she dropped off and then would tell me the best way to use it. At first, I’ll be honest, even though I’m all about the healthy, natural, and very organic lifestyle, I was kind of like, “ehhhh, okay, I’ll try it.” Because to be fair, I’ll try anything once but I wasn’t entirely sold.

I wasn’t entirely sold because it’s hard to believe that something naturally derived can enable your body to heal itself.

So I started small. She gave me a bunch of samples to help with digestion and stomach problems (of which I have many, regrettably) and this one roll-on she gave me literally seemed to help almost immediately. At first I was thinking it was psychosomatic; I liked her so much that I wanted to support her business as she had previously supported mine. I wanted it to work, so it “worked”. But then I tried it over and over again and you know something?

It did work.

Then I started taking people up on their suggestion that peppermint helped migraines. I’ve been told this forever, you guys. But I was never super keen on straight peppermint flavored tea and I had to stay away from it when I was breastfeeding. But you know what? That worked too.

So I gave some of the other oils that she gave me to sample a try. And sure it wasn’t overnight. It wasn’t even immediate. But I noticed a difference.

Fast forward to when we started going to yoga together. I think I mentioned this in my yoga blog but I’ll say it again because it matters. And I like to repeat myself. My hippie neighbor/witch doctor/health guru/yoga partner gave me a sample of this awesome oil that I think was called Motivate before our yoga class. “What’s this for?” I smirked at her. “It will help you get motivated for this class and really get the most out of it.”

Sure, sure, I thought to myself. But you know what? It really did. Maybe it was the ninety plus degree room, maybe it was the fact that my kid wasn’t around, or maybe it was the fact that it was my first workout in a long time but I noticed a really clear, alertness that I didn’t have before.

Moral of the Crazy: I’ve always had a really intense sense of smell. It’s nothing to do with hormones or having a baby; it’s just who I am. In fact, a friend of mine once told me that he had virtually no sense of smell but when he was around me, he always inhaled this intoxicating fragrance. “Probably because I’m a scent Nazi,” I had joked.

But since I learned that all things scented are severely harmful, I’ve removed basically everything from my home that smells good and I wear next to nothing with fragrances unless I’m going somewhere fancy and then it’s Burberry. Because as I mentioned earlier, I can’t breathe most of the time as it is, so why would I intentionally create my own health problems…?

And you guys that are rolling your eyes about scented candles, just stop it. Because you need to Google it and read up on your precious pumpkin spice candles, yummy scented cleaning wipes and fancy hand soaps and how terrible they are for you. I’m serious.

One morning before our six am yoga class, my awesome aforementioned neighbor gave me this super delicious oil to try. I always mess up the name of this particular one but it smelled like it had notes of patchouli in it. (I believe it is InTune by doTERRA.) And you know what? I have this secret love affair with patchouli. I don’t know what it is. A friend of mine from social work school used to always wear it as perfume and I just wanted to lay on her forever and smell her neck.

Anyway, I think this particular oil was supposed to help you really focus and stay on task; it was supposed to promote a sense of clarity throughout your day. Well because it was so early in the morning and the sun wasn’t out, I had on my favorite Cubs sweater that my mom bought from some store in the kid’s department because I’m like five foot nothing. A little bit of the oil must have gotten on the sweater and every time I put it on, I got a whiff of patchouli and it was like it took me back to that early morning yoga sesh. I know, I know, scents and memories are connected but I’m telling you, it did something to me.

I literally want to buy it and wear it as perfume because it was life changing. (My best friend is probably rolling her eyes so hard they’re going to fall out of her head right now. One day I’ll change her mind.)

I don’t want to claim that oils will cure your every illness because quite frankly, I don’t know enough about really anything to say that. But I will tell you that what I gathered from my sweet neighbor is that oils, and the same could be said for healthy, organic foods, give your body the ability to heal itself. It’s not a miracle cure but it’s something that strengthens you from the inside out. (I wish I said it as beautifully as she did but I’m not nearly educated enough in the ways of this part of the world.)

It’s like the guy who came to service my air conditioning told me about eating organic. “Sure, you’re spending about thirty percent more in groceries, but what are you saving in future health problems?”

I could go on and on about this but I’ve already written a fairly long blog. Just do this for me: love yourself enough to take care of yourself. Buy the good stuff because it’s good for you. Stop smoking because hello, it’s 2019 and I don’t understand why we can be so advanced in technology but can’t figure out that smoking is just terrible for you. Stop littering because like I read on a bumper sticker once, there is no Planet B when Mother Nature is deceased.

You only have right now. You only have today. So diffuse some yummy oils, drink your peppermint tea, and recycle your garbage.

I love you, dear friends.

Sickness is the vengeance of nature for the violation of her laws. –Charles Simmons   

Comments