I’m John Constantine; I do stupid in spades. –John Constantine, Constantine


I’ve always had this penchant for troubled individuals. I’ve been inclined to believe almost anything this brand of individual says, have worked really hard to understand them and convey that I am a vault for their secrets, and have gone out of my way far more times than I can count for most of them. I seem to really identify with people who struggle, people who have endured, and people who have a hard time figuring out what the appropriate thing is to do. I’ve always had this mentality that maybe to me, it all seems so easy. Within my perception, the choice seems clear. But for other people, for this specific make of individual, it isn’t so simple. They are less likely to wrap their brains around a choice that I would have long since made. 

Maybe it’s because of my love for these people that I went into social work. They are a society deemed deceptively complex. And I adore them. I adore the torture and the struggle, the willingness to confront their own absurdity, and the hope they foresee for the future. They know their weaknesses and whether or not they’ve come to terms with them, they are their own person: an individual, a smoky, broken love song, a mysterious fragment in the crowd of life.

For me, it was always such a fascinating notion. I was early on obsessed with the chronically mentally ill, people who suffer from delusions and impulses, people who just wake up one morning and decide to take a shotgun to everyone in their family. What happens during that mystifying gap between early childhood, when things are sunny and bright, and adulthood, when suddenly the world is just a giant hurricane. How do individuals who have achieved every hypothetical milestone in the most normal way possible turn into creatures of mass destruction? Is it child abuse, the witnessing of spousal abuse, or just chronic racing thoughts? Do people just become irrational over time or are they born that way? Do they want to intentionally hurt people or do they just feel like they have no other choice? What happened to them to make them believe that they had no way out?

In my opinion, these people are just fascinating. Even, and I really hate to say it, the violent ones. Of course in those extreme cases, we want to get to the root of the problem. We want to determine what we have to do in order to make the atrocities stop. As a domestic violence advocate by day, I am not someone who would ever condone violence of any kind but that doesn’t mean that I would ever give up on anybody. It doesn’t mean that I believe these people aren’t worthy of rehabilitation. We all are, aren’t we? And once it has all been subdued, once justice has been served and victims have been vindicated, why don’t we take the time to figure out where it all started? What turned the sugar into acid? And how can we prevent this in the future? What can we do to help those currently affected and prevent those next in succession? 

You cannot hinder someone’s free will. That’s the first law of the universe, no matter what the decision. –E. A. Bucchiarieri, Brushstrokes of Gadfly

I had this friend in middle and high school who was this beautifully broken young woman. She was incredibly wise beyond her years, just frighteningly intelligent. She and her family had migrated from up north somewhere, I want to say around near the Boston area, and as such, she spoke with this really unique New England accent that always fascinated me. It was something that had been really foreign to me up until that point and I remember thinking that she always sounded so elegant, so educated, like she didn’t belong in Pasco County.

When we were in middle school, she was reading books that were eligible for college reading and she actually understood them. She was always listening to this rare, indie music and talking about topics that I didn’t even know existed. She always spoke about all these random movies from the seventies, about people who had intellectually moved her, and about how our political system was going down the drain. I don’t know if she was ever tested but I’m sure her IQ was north of 150 and sometimes she used words around me that I would have to write down and look up later. She was this crazy talented artist and she always carried multiple sketch pads around with her to document whatever she was feeling. I remember one time, I fell asleep during a planning period in high school and she sketched a picture of me. The likeness was uncanny; I’m certain my mom still has that sketch tucked away somewhere in a yearbook. 

I was always charmed by her; captivated by her brilliance, stunned by her literal infinite knowledge, and left insecure by the fact that back then, I couldn’t measure up. I always felt like I was having a different conversation than she was, even if I had been present for the entire thing. She was on a different level than the rest of us were and I think we all knew it. She was way deeper than your average adolescent, had been somehow exposed to more knowledge than most college students, and seemed to suffer from this romantic darkness that always followed her. 

She was like every other brilliant and tortured artist that has ever graced the world with their presence. She was too smart to act incessantly happy because she knew all the things that could happen, all the things that lie ahead in the proverbial future. She was privy to too much historic failure to really have faith in anything and instead of worshipping, she spent her time reading and expanding her awareness. She knew better than to be blissful because she knew she would be safe in the parameters of her own darkness. Now, looking back on it, she was like an Edgar Allan Poe or a Sylvia Plath. She was painfully intelligent and absorbed by this real, incredibly intoxicating sadness. She made it all seem so exciting, so remarkable.

She was incessantly suffering from something. And it wasn’t like she was being dramatic or trying to get sympathy because it was all very legitimate. And this isn’t a hit at her character because on the contrary, I think she was just emotionally mature enough to be in touch with her various feelings. She seemed to suffer from some kind of depression and although it never hindered her from maintaining straight A’s for her entire educational career, it consumed her. It was written all over her face and despite the fact that she tried to shield it from the world, we all knew. She struggled with things like eating, her weight, and calorie consumption. I even remember a few times, she got so winded and overheated (because she never ate appropriately) that she had to be carried off the football field during band practice. 

I remember that day very vaguely because it was such a long time ago but she was seemingly unfazed. She wasn’t reaching for the nearest cell phone camera to post a social media picture for sympathy (not that such things really existed back then) or crying about how sick she felt. In fact, if anything, I think she was embarrassed by all the attention we paid to her that day. She didn’t want any part of it. She just wanted to suffer in silence, unburdened by an audience. 

No one loses their innocence. It is either taken or given away willingly. –Tiffany Madison, Black and White

There is just something about being troubled that is so whimsical. There is something so seemingly romantic in the idea of being flawed, something so honorable about having the ability to overcome something tragic or life altering. I mean, that’s our whole fascination with celebrities, right? The fact that these individuals are so publicly a hot mess makes them endearing, it makes them relatable, and it makes us feel better about ourselves. I find that some people are viewing individuals like Amy Winehouse (the talented binge drinker gone too soon), Lindsay Lohan (the sordid cocaine snorter who proudly professed her recovery on an Opera special), and Johnny Depp (the recovering drug addict turned alleged wife beater) one of two ways: either they are absolutely fascinated by the deterioration of these people or they’re disgusted by the way they’re acting despite the realization that they’ve got everything from incessant fame to prime LA real-estate above Sunset. 

I happen to fall in the former of these two categories but then again, I’m a social worker. People fascinate me. Even the troubled ones. Especially the troubled ones.

I always try to let people know that they’re safe with me; I’m always saying to my friends that I’m a vault, that this is a “judge free zone”. I have the kind of persona that loves to listen to people complain about their lives, I enjoy being someone that can be relied on in times of trouble, a person that others go to when they just need to vent. To be honest, I see myself somewhere in the ten-year future being a therapist of some kind, sitting in a chair and being the face of comfort when individuals tell me how stressed they are, how anxious they’re feeling, how no one understands them. The notion of being a treasury of information, a person that people can go to when there just isn’t anyone else really appeals to me. The best part of my job is the stories. I could just listen to the case managers and counselors talk for hours about the people they see and the stories they hear. I could definitely make a profession of that. 

I don’t look at this brand of person and think they’re acting out irrationally. I don’t read gossip magazines dictating celebrity behavior and think to myself that they’ve got everything and should just stop acting crazy and be thankful. I don’t see people like Mary-Kate Olsen and Nicole Richie circa 2006 as individuals hell-bent on seeking attention because they clearly aren’t getting enough from their various followers. I don’t see people like Britney Spears and Randy Quaid as high paid drama queens who beat the paparazzi with an umbrella because they want to be on the cover of Us Weekly. I mean, I could go on and on about celebrity culture and how they’re basically destined to descend into this crazy world of fame and tragedy but I’ll save it. (I’ll save it this time. I have a wholllllle other blog in the works about the love triangle turned cheating divorce debacle that is LeAnn Rimes, Eddie Cibrian and Brandi Glanville. Just you wait. READ IT. I know you’ll love it.)

I saw something on Pinterest the other day about how “rock bottom has built more heroes than privilege”. When I first saw that, I slowed down from my rapid scrolling to really look at it. Maybe it’s just something cliché that is commonly found in social media network gatherings like Pinterest but I saw so much truth in it.

Moral of the Crazy: I know it probably seems crazy that I thrive off of people who have lost their way. I know that I probably look a little crazy for traveling along this road that allows for people to make incessant errors, that justifies certain mistakes given the circumstances, and that makes room for people who have sought solace in things that are harmful. Sometimes I really believe that if people weren’t addicts, if they hadn’t cheated in relationships, if they hadn’t fallen on hard times and subjected themselves to unhealthy habits, they would never learn how to take care of themselves. I see it nearly every day, this constant struggle with doing what’s appropriate and doing what feels good. Sometimes I get so frustrated because I think to myself that these people have such incredibly important things on the line and yet, they partake in things that [I think] they shouldn’t. 

But mistakes are made. They’re made every day by all of us. Sometimes I really believe that chaos is the only way certain individuals can function. Without the pandemonium, without the struggle to survive, they are nothing. It’s like my mom used to always tell me, hardship builds character. 

And maybe it’s the pulling out of the struggle that really makes you human. It gives you the ability to comfort yourself, like infants when you leave them to cry for a couple minutes. They’re learning how to feel better on their own.

The reality is that if you’re given absolutely everything, you never really learn how to grow. If you aren’t dealt some trouble or misfortune, you never really establish any character. It’s impossible to successfully color your world when you’ve never really learned how to actually live in it. In strife comes strength, I think.
And a little mystery only enhances your appearance. 

You can’t blame anyone else. No one but yourself. You have to make your own choices and live every agonizing day with the consequences of those choices. –Max Brooks, World War Z

Comments