A man in love accepts everything. –Bangambiki Habyarimana, The Great Pearl of Wisdom





I cant tell you how it is that I became the way I am now. I know that sometimes people say that certain events and emotions have brought them to the place that they are currently in and maybe that much is true. I would like to say that the majority of my romantic experiences have been good ones; that they have taught me how to engage appropriately with my proverbial partner, that they have given me the confidence to carry on regardless of my relationship status, and that they have harbored in me less bad than good. I would like to say that like all romantic comedies, whatever relationships I was once involved in have caused only good things to happen; that I have sat in eclectic coffee shops over the years and happily pondered what my life would be like if I had ended up with this person or that, that all of my passionate experiences, good or bad, have instilled a warmth inside of me, and that I hold no ill will towards those poor, tortured men who had once hurt or betrayed me.   

The reality is that while a lot of these experiences were sometimes difficult to bear, they all taught me something, whether they were good or bad. And it is also true that they werent all bad, despite what I might have previously projected. One relationship, in particular, even led me to the one that Im currently in now. In fact, if it wasnt for that aforementioned relationship, I may not have ever met my husband. But its like they always say, nobody ever remembers the good things. The more noteworthy things are those that are terrible.

The truth is that I was probably always this crazy; I think I just never realized it. I was always possessive and insecure, worrying about whether or not I was as pretty as the girl in the next room or the next bar. (This is probably because I was always everybodys second pick but Ill save that for another day.) Long before I even got with my abuser, I was always wondering whether or not the man I was with really needed me. I was always praying that he wouldnt wake up one day, see how attractive he was, how great an asset he could be to someone better than me, and realize that I was probably wasting his time. To this day, I lie in bed in moments of total weakness and think that one day my husband will look at me and come to his senses. I very seriously worry about the proverbial moment when it finally hits him that Im a goddamn lunatic and aside from taking relatively good care of him, Im a total mess. But for the moment, I think Im safe. Were in love and its bliss. 

But I still fear that day will come. I mean, most of you have met me, right? 

Once you had put the pieces back together, even though you may look intact, you were never quite the same as youd been before the fall. Jodi Picoult
 
But there was once a time when I was a little girl, believe it or not, and I had met this boy about my age that was equally as innocent as I was. He wasnt trying to see through me or figure out how to get horizontal refreshments out of me. He wasnt brazen but rather innocent and unoffending. He hadnt yet grown up to be a man and so he looked at me and purely saw me. We quickly became friends because our mothers had worked together and we were both shamelessly obsessed with dark, gritty cop movies. We were probably more mature for our age, having grown up conversations that centered around life and movies. We talked about books we had read that were probably too advanced for our thirteen year old minds to fully comprehend. We exchanged little love notes back and forth and I can fondly remember how he had always drawn little pictures on his that were scribbled on the edges of his fairly poetic words. Grainy, beautifully dead looking trees decorated his letters and I remember, as the years went by, I started to really appreciate him. I appreciated the effort and time he had taken to communicate with me. 

But the reality was we were just children. And when I really sit down and think about it, we had grown up together. He was a staple in my upbringing and I cant recall very many memories that he wasnt a part of. I remember once I had been out of school with a really bad case of strep throat. It was a sickness that I had seemed to endure every year when the weather turned warm again. He had been worried about me and before the days of cell phones for every rabid teenager, he had no way of seeing if I was okay. He had no way of knowing why I had even missed school. 

He eventually had his mother contact mine and guess who soon showed up on my doorstep with a flood of Get Well Soon gifts? I opened the door to a petite, swarthy soon-to-be man, still untainted by the wrinkles of heartbreak and god-awful women. He had appeared at my double French front doors wielding all of my favorite things: the original Helter Skelter movie, released in 1976, an obsession of mine that began when I was probably way too young. A giant bag of gummy Life Savers, because I preferred those to the hard kind because to this day, they make my teeth hurt. And of course, for my sore and aching throat, strawberry flavored Halls throat lozenges, because strawberry was far favorable than the menthol flavor. 

It was incredibly thoughtful, one of my first interpersonal experiences with a person of the opposite sex, and something that I will always remember. And because I was on the Z pack and no longer contagious, my mom let him come inside and watch the aforementioned Helter Skelter with me. We werent cuddling on the couch or locking lips instead of watching the movie in the dim light because we hadnt yet reached that stage. We were children and it was innocent. 

When the movie was over and we waited for his mom to pick him up, he gave me this silly smirk that I can see so clearly in my head. Even as an adult, he smirked at me like that when he was nervous. I think he is one of the few men to this day that I left rapt just by being myself; and that smirk would always give him away. I think the only other man that Ive ever had that affect on from the very beginning was my sweet, handsome husband and you know how that one turned out. 

Oh, I wouldnt mind, Hazel Grace. It would be a privilege to have my heart broken by you. John Green, The Fault in Our Stars

We never contemplated our future because as young teens, as children, we were never worried about such things. He had planned to leave for NYU, to learn how to direct movies and experiment in the indie film world. He was very arty and creative and I dont think for a moment he had ever pictured a life outside of what he was passionate about. I was fantacizing about moving to Chicago, about getting into a lease I couldnt afford and writing for a nonsense newspaper like my grandmother did. I wanted to be Carrie Bradshaw and he wanted to be M. Night Shyamalan. We were on completely different planes of existence but there was just something about all of it that made me drawn to him.

But as we got older, as we began to develop more as individuals, the dynamic of our relationship began to change. It didnt take long for the realness of a romantic relationship to take over and soon he started dictating all of my free time. It was true, at the time he was intoxicating and I felt like I was literally living in a romantic comedy but soon I grew sick of being caged. I felt stifled, like he didnt want me to go any further. Soon it seemed like the only thing in his life that really mattered was me and he felt like he was losing his grasp on what we had. But it wasnt that; he was losing his grasp on me. 

When I started to really grow, when I began to morph into this person I have since become, things started to change between us. I was a few months older than him and had my drivers license. In a small town like the one I grew up in, there wasnt much to do outside of Books-A-Million and people watching at Walmart. To be truthful, I grew tired of all of it. I wanted to be adventurous, I wanted to leave town and see what the world had to offer. And while he claimed he wanted the same thing, I knew it was all just lip service. He was always saying things to spite me and pique my interest like, Im going to Colorado to live in a cabin for six months or Im going to North Carolina to be a firefighter but it always became clear; he was never going anywhere.

Suddenly it felt like we were incessantly bickering, like he was pitting everything against me and starved for my attention. He soon had made this new, arty group of friends; they were people who hung in the shadows, who shared his love of art and culture, and who thought I was just using him. They were gnarly and edgy, relentlessly teasing me for showing him affection but rambling on behind my back when I would go out and do my own thing. It seemed as though all that innocence, all that sweet, baby-faced, puppy love had long since come and gone. We were different people. And while we had grown up together, had faced adulthood holding each others hands, it seemed that we no longer fit together anymore.

Moral of the Crazy: I cant lie to you and say that it was all bad, that the breakup was dreadful, painful and time consuming because thats not the case. Sure, it taxed me but Im sure he was hurt more than I was, since I had initiated it. But the reality is that we werent the same two children that had locked eyes and fell in love. I will always, always, hold a special place in my heart for him but the simple matter is that while we had grown up, we had also grown apart. 

I had somehow turned him into this jealous man child that to this day, I truly believe, still struggles with all of this. After our breakup, I have to admit that things were just never really the same between us. I think that in the beginning, it was really difficult for him because I had essentially left him for someone else. And as we sort of always ran in the same circles, we had all bumped into each other from time to time. It was awkward, to say the least, but eventually we got through it. 

When I finally decided to cut ties with my abuser, it was him who I had run to. And although he had nothing to offer me besides emotional support, at the time, that was more than enough. At that time, I think he was under the misconception that we would get back together but it was just a pretty strange time for me. All I had ever wanted was to get out from the noose around my neck; I just needed a chance to breathe and I appreciated him for what he had given me, but I was ready to move forward. I wanted to get away from all those people I had always known. In a place like the town I grew up in, everyone knew everyone; you couldnt go to the local Publix without bumping into someone who had heard you had gotten a domestic violence injunction; in that town, it seemed like gossip never slept and while Im usually all for that, I just needed a place where no one knew me. I needed to leave town, dye my hair and start over. And unfortunately, just knowing how well he knew me, and fully aware of the alleged scars I had left on his heart that I would always be punished for, he would always unintentionally inhibit me. With him, it was impossible to obtain a fresh start.   

It definitely took some time but we were able to once again get past all of that. We never mentioned my abuser or the things he had witnessed, we never talked about that time that I waited around all night for him and he never showed (he was at another girls birthday party; he was punishing me), we never again mentioned the time that we had come back from Naples and my abuser had completely vandalized my car in an outrage. We never spoke of any of that ever again. 

He was seeing people, I was seeing people but the ultimate reality was that we were each others number one. And it wasnt in a romantic sense, per se. We were sort of like Johnny Castle and Penny Johnson from Dirty Dancing; we would always love each other, we would always be there for each other but it would probably never go any further than that. Because for whatever reason, neither one of us could seem to handle it. 

So we maintained this awesome friendship for a really long time. We would go bar hopping together, getting really inebriated and then sleep in our clothes in my twin bed. We were private about our romantic ventures because we never wanted to hurt the other ones feelings and we couldnt risk losing each other as drinking partners. Sometimes he would fall asleep in my lap while I was driving us home and he would say, K, I really love the shit out of you, and then he would fall into an eight hour drunken coma.  

I just feel like sometimes I harp so horribly on people, on men in particular, and I feel like I should shed some light. I feel like it would serve everyone well if I shared some secrets, if I let them know that not every encounter was horrible. Sometimes friends, sometimes people are just genuinely good. But that doesnt mean everything will work out. 

This man and I, we dont communicate anymore. Its really kind of sad to me too because I feel like weve just been through so much together. He introduced me to my husband (to which I immediately joked: If hes your friend and a firefighter, Im definitely not going to like him…”) and encouraged us to get together. He kept telling me in the beginning how amazing my future husband was, how he was older and more mature than any of the guys we knew, how he wasnt your average firefighter and how he was nothing like my abuser. Youll like him, he kept telling me, taking a sip out of the roadie we were sharing, I promise.

And he was right. I obviously did see something great in that friend of his and I ended up with him. But what happened between then and now is strange. When he realized that the guy he purposely set me up with was going to stick around forever, he sort of got annoyed by it.

I guess I could understand because after all, we had dated in the past. We had been intimate, we had shared secrets; I understand all of it. So I let him go for awhile. I wasnt going to chase after him if he was punishing me for being happy. I knew that eventually we would find each other again because thats what had always happened with us.

And I was right; he did come back around. But it was a weird, kind of altered version of friendship. He wasnt particularly trustworthy anymore and he kept running back and forth between me and my husband, trying to cause problems. We eventually had one last falling out and basically ended it on decent terms. No one had apologized but we had both spoken our piece. We had come so far to just curse each other out and never speak again. We owed each other more than that. 

To this day, I havent talked to him. And to be honest, I dont know that I ever will. I do know that despite all the years since weve seen each other and all thats happened since, I really only remember the good things. Of course, if I were to really sit down and think about everything I have ever encountered in my entire life, I would remember all the times he acted like an idiot man child but with him, the good definitely outweighed the bad. And because of him, I met the man who quite literally saved my life. If I were to see him again, I would tell him how thankful I was for our friendship. I would tell him that I owe my happiness to him.

I guess that sometimes, we have to remember why it is weve become who we are. And in this case, I feel like his haphazard consistency reminded me that not all men are terrible. His habit to come around just when I needed him helped me to realize that sometimes you just need people. And his ability to spot redeeming qualities in the man who would later become my husband is something that I will always be thankful for. And quite frankly, if we never meet again, I will be okay with it because I know that our relationship, our friendship was one that was genuine. There are no hard feelings and there are no terrible things that I wish I could take back.

We were just children, counting shooting stars on my back porch. And now, and everyday after, we are all good. 

Everything is going to be alright.   

Alex Romero: You look beautiful. I thought you wouldnt come.
Norma Bates:
I heard there was funnel cake.
-Bates Motel

Comments