He’s satisfied with himself. If you have a soul you can’t be satisfied. –Graham Green



Lately, I’ve been feeling this sensation that I’ve been pushed. It’s not in a physical sense; it’s more figurative, like I’m being persuaded or talked into something I’m not particularly keen on. It’s almost like I have a formulated opinion or feeling about something and people just come around and try to knock me off balance. They try to change my mind or distract me because they either disagree or feel like perhaps, they have a better plan for my life. 

I feel like we live in a world where there exists a lot of give and take. A lot of times, if you want something done, you’ve either got to do it yourself or do someone a nifty favor in order to get something back. What I find to be a sort of sad fact for humanity is that very few people are willing to go out of their way for someone else. I see it every day at both of my jobs. It’s all a bartering system; nothing could ever be done merely as an act of good faith. It can’t just be that you’re doing something nice for another person. It’s, How can I use this later to get what I want? How can I utilize this to contribute to my own personal benefit?
 
I see a lot of this brand of absolute selfishness within intimate relationships especially. It kind of seems like in some cases, one individual tends to take priority over the other, where one person’s needs are met while the other’s are not. It’s like riding one of those ridiculous tandem bikes. Ultimately, one person is left to do all the heavy peddling while the other just sits back and enjoys the ride. One is sweating every little thing while the other is drinking beer and watching soap operas.

I always kind of related it to the Sara Bareilles song, “King of Anything”. I mean, granted, this obviously isn’t the case for absolutely every single situation but it’s like sometimes, people just think they know more than you. And if I can be really frank, sometimes men, specifically, just think they know more than women. It’s as if some of them think that they’re smarter than women are, more capable of success and logical thinking, more deserving of desirable behaviors. I see it sometimes, even when I’m just out and about in public. It’s like I owe these men some kind of unspoken favor. Hey, I got the spelling of your name right on your Starbucks beverage. How about a curiosity smile? Or, Hey, I flirted with you while I was tending the bar you were sitting at. How about a nice, fat tip, lil’ mama?

Listen: who died and made you king of anything…?

Nice people don’t necessarily fall in love with nice people. –Jonathan Franzen

I have had a lot of experience with this particular brand of men. They seem to sort of lurk around everywhere, looking for the chance to jump in and save the day. In some cases, it’s been in my own personal life; like this one time, some guy told me that my car was a piece of garbage, that my job was dead-end, and that I wasn’t “taking care of my body”. I mean, I clearly needed his guidance, right? However did I get through life before I fell into his clutches…? 

But I’ll be honest, I’m seeing it more and more in those relationships around me; like this one time, some guy told a girlfriend of mine that it was probable she wouldn’t make a good parent. But it wasn’t her fault, he patronized her. His assessment was based solely on the fact that her parents had possessed lousy parenting skills.

Yeah. Who died and made you king of anything…? 

The truth is that I’m the type of person who can be a pushover. I have the propensity to be easily manipulated (and I’m working on that...) and I sometimes let people walk all over me. This is primarily because I don’t like to hurt people’s feelings. I have a hard time discerning between assertiveness and being habitually bossy. But because of all of this, sometimes people will get the jump on me. I let people tell me what to do with my life (and I don’t necessarily listen wholeheartedly or do what they say but I allow them to try while I stare at them with big green eyes as if I’m genuinely interested) and I find myself even  more willing to allow men to boss me around.  

And I’ll tell you what friends, I don’t appreciate it one bit. I don’t like being told what to do and I don’t like being intimidated. I’m a grown woman with a college degree and a husband. Just because you’re a foot taller than me and like to watch the Turner Classic Movie channel doesn’t mean you need to butt your opinions into my life. It doesn’t merit you telling me what I need to do in order to function successfully as an adult. Just do me this one solid: don’t tell me how to live my life!

I see it a lot of times in the social work field. Not to sound disparaging but some men sort of have the tendency to take over and take control. It sort of becomes apparent that they feel most women just don’t know anything and can’t handle themselves. (My husband is a little guilty of this because he likes to ensure I’m safe, I’m healthy, and I have everything I need. So as a man who is extraordinarily independent, as in he could probably survive for months on a deserted island, he is built to take control and make sure I have a secure life. Most of the time, like when I don’t feel like pumping my own gas, I appreciate it. A lot.) 

One man I dated in particular was very seemingly concerned with my various life decisions. Like literally, all of them. I would say it was probably more of a power and control thing than anything else. He didn’t feel I was capable to survive out on my own in my [young] adult life so he just sort of took over. And the crazy part about all of this is that to this day, I’m almost 100% certain that I am, by far, more together than he probably ever was. I also, for the record, am much better at keeping my anger in check, and of that fact I am almost positive, despite not having spoken to him in nearly a decade. 

For the most part, people are not curious except about themselves. –John Steinbeck, The Winter of Our Discontent

I have a very sweet girlfriend who is in a similar style predicament. Her and her probable eventual husband have been in an exclusively committed relationship for years. They live together, do everything together, and call each other’s parents “in laws”, despite not actually being married. But while they allegedly love and are committed to each other, there is an aspect about their relationship that is relatively bizarre. And if I’m being honest, it sort of frightens me a little bit. And If I’m being really honest, it seriously gives me the most annoying flashbacks.

He literally controls essentially every aspect of her life. They share a vehicle, which I’m personally not a fan of because I hate relying on people, and she will literally walk somewhere to meet him at night when it’s dark. She won’t even accept rides home from her co-workers because it hasn’t been pre-approved by her live-in Gestapo. And maybe that sounds a little harsh to say but it’s not an exaggeration. It’s literally how he acts.

He’s also very strange about her downtime. He has to know where she is and what she’s doing virtually every moment of every day. She would even sometimes have to call him on her lunch break so he could ensure that she was where she claimed to be. (Which was, by the way, at work. You know, because it’s women who are so terribly scandalous, right?) I’m telling you: the man needs Jesus.

And if I’m honest, I feel a little guilty saying that because while I observe a certain red flag for abusive behavior, she relentlessly talks about how much they love each other and how she can’t wait to marry him. Who am I to diagnose their proverbial relationship issues? Who died and made me king of anything?

I just see a lot of this controlling crap all over the place. And to be fair, maybe it isn’t necessarily in a mean way; it’s more like, you don’t really understand how to properly function as an adult, so let me go ahead and do it for you. And that, friends, is what infuriates me. I’m not one of those people that is alright with just doing what I’m told within my interpersonal relationships. If I ask for some help, that’s one thing, but I don’t appreciate being treated like I’m five. I don’t need to be told how to get through life; I’ve been doing it perfectly well for almost thirty years. I’ve already got a mother, thank you.    

Moral of the Crazy: Sometimes it’s easy to just shake your head at a situation and think about how differently you would do it, how much seemingly better you would handle it all. But some things are easier said than done. I mean, it’s like my mom used to teach in Sunday school: That’s why God gave us free will. So you can grow up, be an adult (of sorts) and make whatever goddamn terrible mistakes you want. Or sometimes, like my mother-in-law says, you’ve just got to give people enough rope to hang themselves.

It isn’t necessarily that I don’t believe in guiding people and encouraging them to make the right choice. Obviously I do, or I wouldn’t have gone to social work school. I just feel like sometimes you have to give people enough room to grow. And I especially find it condescending, in romantic relationships, for one person to dictate what is wrong with the other, for one person to point out the other’s short comings, and maintain some sort of powerful privilege over the other. It just doesn’t seem like a nice way to treat someone that you’re supposed to love. But maybe that’s just me.

I guess, in life, the general rule is to treat someone with the same respect that you think you would deserve. Even though sometimes they probably don’t. If everybody lived by that logic, I think a lot of things would be different. For starters, we all might even like each other.

I don’t care what you think unless it’s about me. –Kurt Cobain    

Comments