For the powerful, crimes are those that others commit. –Noam Chomsky, Imperial Ambitions



Throughout a lot of my life, I have had this crisis of not being the favorite. I’ve noticed it in a lot of different aspects and situations and while it might sound mildly dramatic, I’m not looking for attention; it’s a fact. I live it every day of my life. And this whole idea of a double standard, or the propensity to favor one person over the other, is absolutely infuriating.

I especially become disgruntled when this brand of double standard occurs in a professional environment. I am a person who prides themselves on hard work. Sure, everyone has their moments, and I’m sure that I can have them too, but primarily, I make a very conscious effort to go above and beyond what is expected of me. I have an addictive personality and I become obsessed with doing the most thorough, absolutely excellent job I possibly can. I like to spend my time staying occupied and up to date with things so that I don’t start to lag behind. And as a chronically neurotic individual, the habit of staying active helps to cure me. I have an absolute plethora of reasons to continue working hard.

I will admit: I can be timid, and sometimes even lacking in confidence. And to be fair, that is the kind of attribute that perpetually plagues neurotic people. But I don’t believe that makes me a lower caliber individual than anyone else. If anything, I think it just keeps me humble. I just feel that sometimes it might make me look as though I don’t know what I’m doing and that isn’t the case. Like maybe sometimes, this lack of outward confidence gives the impression that I’m not smart. And that just isn’t true.

Because of all of this, I have had the lifelong issue of being overlooked. I have come to terms with the realization that I’ll never be anyone’s “favorite” and maybe that’s alright. It is certainly a lot less pressure. It’s a lot less stressful to just be yourself rather than who people want you to be.

Men have had every advantage of us in telling their own story. Education has been theirs in so much higher a degree; the pen has been in their hands. I will not allow books to prove anything. –Jane Austen, Persuasion 

But it has been my experience that double standards can also occur in more of a romantical sense. I have seen a lot more favoritism when it comes to interpersonal relationships. I’ve seen it with my friends and their boyfriends, and I have even mildly seen it within my own marriage. I feel like it’s just commonplace between men and women.

These double standards pop up in regards to money, being social, and how you spend your quality time. And while it may be a common and natural occurrence within a relationship, you are still left with the annoying question of, why is it okay for him and not for me? Why can he spend money on useless things but she has to virtually record every penny for his inspection? Why can he act like a child and make her jealous but she can’t even post pictures on Facebook for fear that he’ll whine about it for days? Why can he have a night out with friends that includes female ones, but she can’t even converse with male friends about normal, daily things?

What now seems like a million years ago, I was in something of a chaotic relationship. The details of most of it have been highly catalogued in this blog, so for the sake of time, I’m going to gloss over almost all of it. What is important to take away from it in this instance is the chronic selfishness, the propensity for a double standard to live inside every aspect of this relationship.   

He was mildly metro, kind of ironically so because you couldn’t look at him and see it, and an insanely big spender. He loved to shop but would buy the majority of his clothes in various shades of black because he was allegedly colorblind. 

But I was on a budget and he scrutinized every cent I spent, despite the fact that I worked more hours and made more money than him. He would go on day trips to monotonous skater stores that somehow STILL carry all the same clothes that they did ten years ago but I was unable to upgrade my wardrobe. (I think him not wanting me to better myself was all part of his master idiot plan to keep me under his thumb. It was just another way that he maintained control. But as we all know, I clearly have a shoe problem…) If he bought one more pair of all black Etnies, I swear to God I was going to lose it. 

We had similar discrepancies regarding friends of the opposite sex. I obviously wasn’t allowed to have any, under ANY circumstances, save for the preapproved fellow firefighters he worked with and even then, it was only permitted in his presence. God forbid I made eye contact too long with the waiter at Chili’s, all manner of Irish-Italian hell would break loose. I learned early on that the few male friends I did have prior to meeting him would have to take a backseat. If I wanted to continue this morbid, twisted relationship with him, there just was no other way.

He, on the other hand, had an absolute multitude of female friends that I was supposed to just be okay with. One of them was a girl that he had briefly dated prior to me. I remember they would have these long telephone conversations about God only knows what. (Although I guess to be fair, he wasn’t much of a texter. But realistically, what twenty-one year old male sits around and talks on the phone for hours on end? This one, apparently.)

He had other female friends from work and school, who would join him on drunken exploits and weekly trips to Busch Gardens. And I, his allegedly beloved girlfriend, was either busting my shapely, Italian rear-end at one of my TWO jobs or uninvited to the party, for whatever reason. It was pure, unsolicited nonsense.

And also to be fair, I believe that we both know full well why I was conveniently uninvited. How else could he convince the girl he was habitually cheating on me with that I had been made to sleep on the couch? How else could he trick her into thinking that he had kicked me to the curb but was nice enough to keep a roof over my head until I found a place to go? How else could he spin this whole monstrous scenario to make him look like the good guy who wasn’t cheating on his girlfriend? Because obviously, my being there would have put a pin in all that. I would have shut that shit down.

Do you really believe that everything historians tell us about men, or about women, is actually true? You ought to consider these histories have been written by men, who never tell the truth except by accident. –Moderata Fonte, The Worth of Women 

To be honest, I just feel like this weird sense of favoritism is something that plagues us everywhere. I have this friend who has been with the same man for something like five years. He is one of those guys who has an excuse for everything. And what I mean by that, more specifically, is that he blames his allegedly troubled upbringing for his godawful behavior. For example, there has been talk in their relationship about a future commitment. My friend has brought up, multiple times, the idea of “next”. She has questioned what the next step is and where they’ll go from here. And to be honest, I don’t think that’s too terribly much to ask after five goddamn years.

He claims he can’t promise any sort of commitment because of the fears brought on by his latch key childhood. I’m sorry; that is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. After something like five years, you’re invested. Forgive me for being sort of insensitive about this but being with one single person for two years or more implies commitment. So get over yourself.

The other thing too is that sometimes being in a relationship gets stale. You have got to liven things up every now and again, especially when you’ve been together for a really long time.

So naturally, you can understand my confusion when this aforementioned commitment-phobe whined to his girlfriend about how their relationship was boring, how she was “lame” and never wanted to do anything; but two days later rejects any sort of chance to be social with her. You don’t get to complain about the death of your romantic social life and then refuse to come out when your “lame” girlfriend plans something fun. Just be real, act like a grown up for once in your pathetic life, and stop using double standards to hide behind your dishonest double life.

Phew! #EndRant

Moral of the Crazy: Not to sound like a bratty five year old, but the double standards? The favoritism? It isn’t even remotely fair. Especially considering the world that we now live in, where everyone is advocating for something, where fairness is no being taken into consideration by the goddamn government, you would think that such behavior would be deemed unacceptable. It should be unacceptable everywhere. 

And most especially in the workplace, where you’re literally being paid for your commitment to the team, for the work that you put into the company on a daily basis. It seems unfair to praise half the employees and shower them with kindness and promotions, while the rest of us stew in our alleged mediocrity. When you work just as hard, if not a lot goddamn harder, than someone else, you ought to be recognized for it. Not continually overlooked, over and over again, while others climb the ranks simply because they’re shiny and new. It’s hurtful and frustrating. And it leaves you with the mentality: why bother working hard when someone else is getting all my credit?

And obviously, I’m a grown up; I realize that that isn’t the mentality you should be having in a professional setting, or really in any setting, for that matter. But it’s difficult to keep pushing through when you’re so noticeably underappreciated. I saw it at my old job all the time, which never made sense to me because it was a childcare provider. You would think that everything would be about the children; not about who the director was most fond of. You would think that in the workplace especially, there would be no favoritism. It would be about who works the hardest, who is the most dependable, who has the best attitude and the biggest motivation to do better. Not about whom the person in charge likes the most. 

But like a dear, dear friend of mine once told me when we had this conversation, “that’s the kind of stuff honest people say when they can’t get promoted”.

Fate has her golden sons, and her bastards. –Jennifer Mardoll, The Sarrington Estate

Comments