Hard to say what’s right when all I want to do is wrong. –Prince

I have to say, throughout most of my adult life, I have had this unnecessary attraction to bad boys. Maybe it’s because I have always been so primarily good and wholesome; I’ve never smoked a cigarette or gotten a speeding ticket. I’ve never been in a fight or any sort of legal trouble, aside from credit card debt. I shy away from conflict for the most part and I like to keep people happy. (I would also like to keep all my teeth.) Maybe with all this white milk sense of living comes the propensity to get infatuated with the dark side.
  
I like men who can’t figure themselves out, the ones that drown their sorrows in hard liquor and pirate fights. If I were still single, I would be chasing the likes of Don Draper (Mad Men), Ron Swanson (Parks & Rec), Charles Vane (Black Sails), and Sterling Archer (Archer). They’re nearly unapproachable and violent, they’ve been in various brands of trouble, and are most likely running from their sordid pasts. But they love like animals: possessive, archaic and lascivious. Sometimes it can be really exciting to ride in the fast lane.

But other times, I think it’s absolutely ludicrous. Maybe this is because I’ve got the best of both worlds in my personal life. I’ve married a reformed bad boy who has primarily curbed his behavior. He does, however, have this adorable little wild streak that he lets run rampant every now and then. Like every time we drive. (He has a bit of a road rage problem…) But he’s a safe person to spend my life with and he keeps out of trouble. For the most part. 

The point is that the Bad Boy/Mr. Wrong thing is cute, but only for a few minutes. It’s a novelty and it gets old. You can’t marry Charles Vane. Just imagine if someone cut that man off in traffic.
 
You’re not good at relationships because you don’t value them. –Roger Sterling, Mad Men

I have this friend who is genuinely one of the most together women I have ever met. She pays all of her bills way before they’re due, she has a good job with benefits, and an awesome personality. I always saw her as more of a grown-up even though we’re the same age. She always carries a checkbook, she always smells amazing, and she is always very put together. She is sharp, pristine, and eloquent.  

One of the things that I have always absolutely loved about her is her natural inclination to just be an amazing girlfriend. She is one of those girls that is insanely generous and selfless with her boyfriends. When they’re down, she picks them up and dusts them off. When they’re in trouble, she bails them out and buys them comfort food. She is one of those women that is just naturally maternal with most people, but more especially with those that she really cares about. 

It’s like the more screwed up they were, the more she pushed for it to work. Those men would sit around playing their PS3’s all day and she would maintain this incessantly positive attitude towards their probably future. And then there’s me, the woman actually losing it if my husband loads the dishwasher incorrectly. (No, but seriously. That is so goddamn annoying. In my defense, you fit MORE in the dishwasher if it’s loaded PROPERLY. It’s all about going green.)

Anyway, she was dating this guy who literally should have been named Mr. Wrong. He lived on a diet of cigarettes, weed, and various 7/11 snacks. He was lazy, loud and vulgar and despite all that charm, could never seem to plan a proper date for the two of them. He had a very limited sense of humor and was completely satisfied with being financially dependent upon her. In fact, he used to always brag about how he could park his work truck in the woods and smoke weed for like, four hours of his shift.

On top of all of these absolutely delightful attributes, he was unkind to her and a bit possessive. I remember so vividly that he used to do this weird thing when he called her. There could be no background noise; he had to be able to hear a pin drop when he spoke to her, otherwise he went insane. I had kind of assumed that it was his way of keeping tabs on her. (Not that he would ever have to because she simply wasn’t that kind of girl. We are talking about an incredibly classy lady here.)

There was a brief stint during our friendship where I was careless. Those times he would call her in my presence were so nerve-wracking. I literally had to sit there in silence so as not to cause problems between them. She would sit there, beautiful and poised as ever, just willing the phone call to go smoothly until she could hang up, turn to me and say, “I’m sorry. What were you saying before he called?” And to be honest, I understood it because that woman is an absolute angel to this day. She is quite possibly the most well-behaved, well-intended woman that I personally have ever encountered. She treats the men in her life like some mixture of Eddie Cibrian and Henry the XIII. 

Psychopaths… people who know the differences between right and wrong, but don’t give a shit. That’s what most of my characters are like. –Elmore Leonard

I have this other girlfriend who is petite and adorable. She’s got this feisty little firecracker thing going and she isn’t afraid to be blunt. At first, it used to hurt my feelings because as we all know, I’m super sensitive. But then I grew to appreciate it because the majority of what she says is pretty legitimate and justified. 

But for all her saltiness, she was ever-faithful, supportive, and utterly obsessed with whatever man she was dating, even when they didn’t necessarily deserve it. She would take on the role of caregiver and made it her life’s work to treat them like royalty. And to be honest, that used to confuse me because in every other aspect of her life, she was no-nonsense. She wouldn’t take lip from anyone but her boyfriends were always able to somehow pull the wool over her eyes. 

She was dating one man, who I honestly believed, was trying to take her for a long walk off a short pier. (Wait a minute, I should clarify: I don’t think he was some malicious individual who actually wanted to murder her. That’s just an expression my Italian family always used to use to describe being taken advantage of. And also murdered…) But I digress.

He was basically dating two women but he was really shoddy about it. Like, he wasn’t even the slightest bit careful. Maybe it was like he didn’t care about whether or not he got caught. 

It was sort of like a game on his end, bouncing around from one girl to the other, like a drunken tennis match. And sadly, for both girls involved, they loved him unconditionally. I couldn’t really understand it but again, I like laid back brutes that brew their own lager. Not pretty boys in Dickie Dollar Scholar clothes.

And this two-timing, double-dealing behavior went on for something like actual years. Like seriously, years. I only know bits and pieces of the story but each time they would rekindle their semi-chaotic relationship, she would tell me plainly, “The heart wants what it wants.” She didn’t make excuses for him, she didn’t defend their insane relationship, and she didn’t broadcast all the details unless I asked for them. It just was what it was.

The reality is that he’s a bad boy and she loved him. And she would admit that right to your face. 

Moral of the Crazy: I hate to group the entire female population into one big, terribly unfair stereotype but there is just something inherently appealing about the proverbial bad boy. And if you claim to be immune to his charms, you are lying to yourself! These various labels exist for a reason, friends. I could literally fill an actual book with stories of the ever elusive and cavalier Mr. Wrong but you’ve all got lives to lead and DVR’s to catch up on. (Has anyone seen Lucifer by the way? Talk about a yummy bad boy? Sheesh.)  So I’m going to provide a little entertaining short cut for you:

Taylor. Goddamn Swift.

I would like to say that it’s more exciting than scary, that it’s more sensual than exhausting. I would like to say that bad boys can be tamed, that Mr. Wrong can be molded into someone moderately sensitive who brings you flowers every Saturday. And to be fair, it could be possible. Stranger things have happened.

In fact, I happen to know where this instance took place: My aunt’s husband (he’s my “uncle” because they’ve been married since before I was born) was something of a bad boy in his youth. But I have never seen anyone as gentle with another person as he is with her. He still has his boat, still flies his plane, and still makes the majority of the decisions but she is the queen. She tamed the beast. And that flowers every Saturday thing? That man doesn’t miss a Saturday. Ever. 

A bad man is the sort who weeps every time he speaks of a good woman. –H.L. Mencken

I guess it’s just that no one is really that bad. You can only hold the Mr. Wrong title for so long before it gets boring and it won’t keep you warm at night. The reality is that while he may be a “bad boy”, if you hold the key to his heart, you’re the one with the real power. It’s like Davy Jones and Calypso. He was this dreaded, scary pirate (but seriously, what is my obsession with pirates?!) with wavy tentacles on his face and coal in his heart until you mention his girl. Then he turns into the octopus version of Drake.

I always tease my husband that he is quite possibly one of the meanest individuals I have ever met. He has terrible road rage, little patience for most people, and a tendency to be something of a hot head when people push his buttons. But with me, I am the queen. He doesn’t even raise his voice when I lecture him about not following the grocery list accurately (which is always). 

He’s bad, angry and literally yells, “GO AWAY!” when Jehovah’s witnesses come to our door. But despite that chronic propensity to be grumpy and just downright miserable, he loves me and takes care of me. He bottles up all of his sweetness and reserves it all for me. It’s a daily reminder of my importance to him. 

Look, I’m not going to sit here and pretend like the average Mr. Wrong is a terrible life decision filled with pain and regret. I understand the attraction, friends. What’s not to love about a man who drives a stick shift, shoots a gun, and can’t verbalize his feelings? All I’m saying is with you, it should be different. Like Danny and Sandy, Charles and Eleanor, Will and Alicia. Those men may be bad but if they’re good at loving you, that’s all that matters. 

Pay no attention to toxic words. What people say is often a reflection of themselves, not you. –Christian Baloga
 


Comments