So if you go, leave while I’m not looking. Go silently, so my heart won’t know. –Paloma Faith



The last few weeks I seem to have resorted back to my insomniac ways. The last few nights, I was unable to sleep. I was tossing and turning the entire night, my head spinning with so many things. Have I said all the things I wanted to say to all the people I wanted to say them to? Have I done most things right? Have I righted all my wrongs? Apologized to those it was due? Mended all my broken fences? Forgiven those that deserved it? Returned phone calls to those loved ones that were waiting for it? Made sure that I exhibited appreciation and thanks for the people I truly care about? Do they know that I love them? Would they know if it all ended tomorrow?

I woke up the next morning feeling groggy and anxious. I was stalking myself on Instagram and the pictures read like a story. It looked like I was having fun. It looked like I was living the life I love, but was I? Was I really doing what I wanted to do? Did I love the people who were deserving of it? Was I giving all of myself to the individuals who reciprocated? Or was I losing gradual pieces of myself? In my desperate attempt to be agreeable and just go with the flow, was I blurring my own identity? Was I just floating through life, being all those things people just expected of me? Or was I really living?

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal. –from an Irish headstone

The loss of someone close to you can be actually earth shattering. It stops your heart. You wake up every day thinking that maybe it was all just a bad dream; that just maybe, if you pray hard enough, if you promise to be a good person and bribe Heaven with enough good intentions, you’ll wake up and all of this will be over. By some miracle from above, you will wake to find you were mistaken; that you misread that proverbial text of doom that changed your life forever and all of this was just a ploy to scare you awake. It was just a staged event to help you realize that these moments are fleeting, that nothing lasts forever, that things can change drastically in mere seconds.

But sometimes, sometimes you wake up to find that everything has changed. Sometimes you open your eyes to greet the sun and the molecules that make up your world are irreparably altered. Thankfully in my life, I have only lost one or two people that I was incredibly close with. These two people were different, however, because with them, I was prepared. They were elderly and sick, and although it was still devastating, I was given the chance to understand and accept it. I was given closure and I was there during the defining moment. 

But last week I felt the pain of losing someone, out of completely nowhere, by proxy. I was alerted via text messages days after the incident because I was out of the country. It was one of those pit-in-your-stomach moments: my heart was beating in my ears and I blinked my eyes over and over; I had to have read it wrong.

Hadn’t I…?

But I hadn’t. The words were clear as day and despite baffling medical science, sometimes people just die. And sometimes these people mean everything to us. And even worse still, sometimes we aren’t given the opportunity to say goodbye or exhibit those things that we really feel. Sometimes, due in part to the Invincibility Fable, we are comforted by the misconception that we have all the time in the world. But we don’t, friends.

I wish I’d paid better attention. I didn’t yet think of time as finite. -Jessica Marie Tucceli

The truth is that in the blink of an eye, things can change. You go to bed with a false sense of security, believing everything will feel better in the morning. (I know this to be true because I tell it to myself all the time.) Then you suddenly wake up stripped of the chance to tell someone you love them. You go through life with the blind belief that you have all the time in the world, that your anger is so rightly justified, and you’re just going to let them sweat it out, let them think about how much they’ll miss you in your absence. 

Until you wake up ripped of the chance to say you’re the one that’s really sorry; that you would do absolutely anything to be given the chance to say so. To make all of this pain in your heart go away. 

In these cases, I find the most devastating part is the inability to obtain closure. Especially for someone like me, who is crazy neurotic and incessantly concerned about hurting other people’s feelings. I cannot imagine my final words to someone being ones spit in anger. I can’t fathom knowing that someone attempted to patch things up with me and I was too stubborn and angry to care. (Which is something I did a few months back, in December.  And while I’m still cold and angry, I don’t know what I would do if something ever happened to her, knowing that I was too hurt and angry to grant her the chance to say she was sorry.)

What if I were to wake up tomorrow to find that she put her head in an oven or was killed in a crazy car accident and I was forced to go through the rest of my life knowing that I was too proud, too convinced I was right and she was wrong. Too proud to forgive, too angry to listen, and too bitter to care.  

In this instance, it was someone close to me that lost someone close to her. It was someone with whom she was intimate, someone with whom she shared secrets. This was a person with whom she had made future plans, someone she had bother confided in and consoled. This was a person she had been close to for actual decades, someone she had deemed one of her best friends. This was one of the few people who understood her, one of the even fewer that really, genuinely knew her. It was someone who made her laugh until her stomach hurt and in some rare, darker moments, made her cry. Someone so meaningful to her life that regardless of the situation, she was heavily affected by him. And now, in death, she would be affected the most. 

Even, and perhaps more especially, in death, he had a hold on her heart.

Because death is the only thing that could have ever kept him from you. -Ally Carter 

Moral of the Crazy: I cannot imagine losing someone that I shared that kind of relationship with. I cannot imagine not being given the chance to say all I wanted to say, to be not given one more day with someone that I truly cared about. 

When all of this happened, I started taking my own moral inventory, reviewing my own life choices. And while I suppose a lot of the journey is in the getting there, I must shamefully admit that I have made more than my fair share of absolutely goddamn awful choices. Some really simple and yet somehow still rather life impacting, and others more serious and personal that I would rather not share with my social media and internet audience. 

Like the time my grandmother asked me to sleep with her shortly before she died. I told her that I would be in there later and instead, unable to cope with the emotional crisis (there was a lot going on back then), I got drunk on Pinot Grigio and watched the Maltese Falcon on the Turner Classic Movie channel. I fell asleep on my aunt’s leather couch like a total tool. Because I thought I had all the time in the world, and hey, I was having a rough year. Shouldn’t I be granted one night to myself? One night to just relax and not answer to anyone?

But the truth is, I would give anything to go back to that night and snuggle up to my grandma. And now, no matter how much time has passed and how much peace I’ve made with her death, I will never, ever forgive myself for that. It was something simple and seemingly meaningless at the time, but now I think, I could have gone in there and comforted her for one night. It wouldn’t have killed me. God, I miss her.

There was this other time, when I had just broken up with my crazy ex-boyfriend and was going through this wild sort of life change. I partied a lot, I drank a shit ton, I lost a lot of weight and hung out with a lot of men I probably shouldn’t have. (It’s this weakness I have. I have an addictive personality.) My spark went out there for a while and I went through this phase where I hated everyone who wasn’t a bartender serving me until I couldn’t stand. I knew alcoholism and abusive relationships ran in my family but I didn’t give a shit. I was going to do me and if that meant I was hungover every day, then so be it. 

At the time, my sister was going through her own life crisis. She was getting a divorce and while it was relatively uneventful, I wasn’t there for her. I remember there was this one time where my soon-to-be ex-brother-in-law (really, with the hyphens?) MySpaced me (Yes, MySpace. That’s how long ago this was.) because my sister blew him off and refused to talk to him. I’m totally paraphrasing because it was a long time ago but he sent me this message saying that he was devastated, beside himself, couldn’t function, blah, blah, blah. Was there any way that I could just pick up the phone and call him? Or call her and explain how upset he was? Could I possibly illuminate my sister and tell her that she needed to talk to him?

I was young. I was going through my own shit. I also knew that my sister was finished and there was no one who was going to talk her out of it. The situation was what it was, I told myself, and what difference did I make in any of this? I was just the baby sister. 

The reality is they’re both better off. They’re both successful, living their own lives with people who make them happier than they ever really made each other. It’s sad but it all worked out the way it was supposed to, I think. But despite all that, I will never forgive myself. That man was in our lives for ten years and I just walked away from him and his feelings. I ignored him (and her) when he needed me because I just couldn’t deal with anymore problems. I had plenty of my own. And now, approaching thirty, I think to myself, you could have picked up the phone and listened to him. It wouldn’t have killed you. 

But I didn’t; and while I could actually go on and on about my multitude of colossal mistakes, I don’t want to bore you into a coma. And that’s not what this blog is about. 

I never thought twice about the way I’ve been spending my time, drying my guts out for every dime. –Jewel, Leaving 

Not to sound dramatic, but the realization that we aren’t bulletproof sort of hit home. It made me all sensitive to the world around me. It made my stomach hurt. It gave me the desire to assess my choices and fix all my broken relationships. It made me want to do all those things I have been thinking about for a long time but just never had the courage to actually carry through with. It pushed me to work out and diet even harder to become the best me I can be. Because after all, you’re only on this world for a short-lived moment. 

I talked to some of my friends over a liberally poured whiskey (or three) and I heard a multitude of comforting words. One of my dear friends told me that she had been through a similar situation, “and realized,” she put a hand on my arm, “that it takes more energy to hate than love.”

The other friend tried to soothe me by saying that sometimes, you just have to do the things that make you feel alive. That while being easy going and agreeable is great, it is not a way to go through life. When you start living for others instead of yourself, you aren’t really living. You’re just coasting. Coasting through life, doing nothing for yourself. Sure, it’s true: everyone dies. But do we all truly live?

I guess, in life, at the end of the day, I just want to know that I did all I could, that I lived my life to the absolute fullest. I want to believe that I was good to people when they didn’t deserve it, that I was there for people when they really needed someone, that I did all those things that made me feel alive. 
 
I want to know that I lived the life I wanted. 

Closed eyes, heart not beating, but a living love. -Avis Corea

Comments