All little girls should be told they are pretty, even if they aren’t. –Marilyn Monroe

 
These days, we live in a culture that is dominated by looks. We are selfish, superficial beings who believe that the smallest amount of attractiveness makes up for sour, unpleasant dispositions. We find unfavorable behavior acceptable because if you’re appealing, it shouldn’t matter. We are a society obsessed with appearance, resulting in a world that is seemingly monochromatic, and it can be cumbersome when you don’t fit the mold.

I am just one of those people: I have never fit the mold. And it isn’t for a lack of trying. I have always wanted to be one of those beautiful people. A girl who skips the line because she is perfection. A woman ogled on the street because you just can’t not look at her. Someone who really impresses people with her intelligence because how could she be that beautiful and smart? I wanted to be envied because being that threateningly brilliant and painfully gorgeous is just so unfair. But that’s not me; and I’m not fishing for a compliment. I’m just being realistic.

There are some people who stop time with their beauty and there are some who do not. Sometimes, like in an enormity of cases, people are just normal and unadulterated. There are some individuals who just blend into the crowd unnoticed, but that’s okay because they’ve got other things to offer. 

And then there are those other individuals who seem to have fallen from the sky. These individuals are flawless and sparkling; they wake up gorgeous and clean up even better. They are the Shayne Dahl Lamas of the world. The Natalie Woods and the Sharon Tates. The Kate Beckinsales and the January Jones. 

They are perfect and sometimes it can be difficult not to take it personally. It can be hard not to ask why they were chosen instead of you. It can be hard to appreciate your own limited beauty in a culture so obsessed with looks. But sometimes I think that I’m the lucky one. 

After all, being ordinary has its charms: People are less likely to murder you during a crime spree that began on 10050 Cielo Drive. The fear of public speaking isn’t nearly as daunting because it’s not as if anyone is staring at you. And it’s not as if a crazed maniac will try to lock you in a torture chamber in their basement because you personify the Homecoming Queen who rejected them. Sometimes I really believe that being pretty is a vulnerability, a curse. And then sometimes, I think it makes life easier.

That’s always seemed so ridiculous to me, that people want to be around someone because they’re pretty. It’s like picking your breakfast cereal based on color instead of taste. –John Green

I used to have this friend who was just such a creature. She was so painfully beautiful that even her slight imperfections were dazzling. I have never admitted this until now but I was always a little jealous of her. I coveted the way people (men and women) fawned over her. I was envious of the attention she got absolutely everywhere we went. I was in awe of the way she made people nervous because her beauty was so unsettling and intimidating. Men would become children around her and because of this, she could make anyone believe what she wanted. She was so charming and exotic that standing beside her in the Starbucks line could be captivating.

She also had an enormity of medical ailments, making her somehow fragile and childlike. People always wanted to take care of her and fuss over her because for whatever reason, she needed the catering. And if you want my honest opinion, however bitter or otherwise, she liked it. She thrived off of the incessant attention she got from everyone. She got off on people worrying about her and was almost like she instigated all these alleged medical problems. The future psychologist in me would say that all these things are red flags for histrionic disorder… but hey, what do I know? 

I do know that she was profoundly self-centered. Literally everything had to be about her and if it wasn’t, she would somehow manipulate things so they were. If she was out at a social event and the conversation turned in the direction of someone else, it must have driven her crazy because she would quickly turn it around. She would faint or fall ill, tell a sob story or have a flashback, start a fight or break a bone, and then just like that, everyone would virtually drop everything to fix her. All of a sudden, everyone was digging through their purse for a cell phone, breaking up an unnecessary fight, or flagging down the waiter for a fruit bowl. How no one ever seemed to pick up on these intentional, attention grabbing calamities is far beyond me. And incredibly, irrevocably frustrating.

It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness. –Leo Tolstoy

I could never understand how people, more especially men, were incessantly falling for her dramatic antics. I could also never see why this kind of attention made her feel good about herself. I mean, the majority of the time, it was negative attention, but she just never seemed to care. And the multitude of individuals who were continually coddling her didn’t seem to either. They found her gorgeous, fascinating, and charmingly troubled. To this day, it infuriates me.

Maybe it’s because no one ever seems to get any points for having things together. No one ever reaps any credit for acting like an adult individual who avoids drama, fights and chauvinistic, abusive men. I could never understand how people found her so bewitching when she had done absolutely nothing with her life aside from instigate problems, and then whine about them incessantly. 

She was primarily unemployed, had given up on school, and spent her time lying around complaining about how allegedly terrible her life was. I would listen to her, be a good friend, and not say a thing. But what I really wanted to do was shake her awake and scream at her, “Maybe if you got out of bed once in a while and actually did something with your life, it wouldn’t be so terrible.”

It just seems so unfair that some people try incredibly hard to be good people. They work towards set accomplishments and focus on being someone who others can depend on and seek comfort from. There are people out there who actually take the time to work on cultivating who they are, people who want to add to the world. 

And then there are those who are exactly the opposite. They take advantage of people who really care about them and meanwhile, they’re just handed everything because they’re beautiful. It’s seemingly their god given right. Because being beautiful just seems to make life easier. 

Moral of the Crazy: I’m not going to sit here and pretend like my looks don’t consume me. I mean, I can’t. I have a “Thinspo” board on Pinterest, for crying out loud. I buy makeup that costs more than health insurance because I would rather be pretty than healthy. I plan my outfits the night before because the most important part of my day is my outfit. I read magazines like it’s my job because I want to be trendy; I want to be a celebrity because of the style. But I’m not Shayne Dahl Lamas, friends. I’m a normal, ordinary, not uniquely special person. Those are the cards that I was dealt.

Sometimes people are beautiful. Not in looks. Not in what they say. Just in who they are. –Markus Zusak

But sometimes, I’m really thankful. I once heard this story from this woman who was a model. Being a model, she was obviously absolutely gorgeous, but it was something that burdened her sometimes. Obviously not all the time because she profited off of it. But sometimes, it made her feel bad about herself. She told me once that she felt like in a way, people judged her. That because she was pretty, they made assumptions about her, and she didn’t want to be just a pretty face.

She told me about this one time in particular when she did a photo shoot with this guy and throughout the day, he had mentioned that she was perfect for a project he was working on. It was a movie and although the role was minute, it was still a credit. It could get her foot in the door, he had told her. He asked if she would be willing to meet with him after the shoot, pending she was even interested. She was excited, exclaimed she was massively interested, and agreed to meet with him after the shoot.

Needless to say, there probably was no movie and even if there was, he wasn’t considering her for the role. He was hitting on her shamelessly, even after she had made numerous attempts to rebuff his advances. He kept touching her shoulder, moving closer to her in the circular booth in order to eliminate any distance between them. He had even made a move to kiss her. And I remember, when I was listening to her tell me this, while I was watching her grow increasingly more agitated, I thought to myself, “Thank goodness I’m average…”

I know I shouldn’t, but I get caught up in looks all the time. I tell the girls I work with all the time, “I feel so cute when I leave my house and then when I get here and see you guys, I’m like, Why did I even get out of bed…?” I think it’s a natural thing, to crave whatever it is you don’t have, to want those things you’re lacking. With everyone being so hyper sexualized in the media, it’s hard not to.

But as I’ve gotten older, I have realized that there’s more to life than how you look. Sure, being attractive can be really beneficial sometimes. But sometimes, it’s not. I’m just not so sure that I would want to be judged as just a pretty face. I want to be taken seriously. I would rather be seen as brilliant than beautiful. I would rather be considered selfless and giving than self-absorbed and vain. I would rather contribute to the world than just live in it, than just be an abnormally beautiful fixture. 

And maybe that’s what beauty is really all about: the knowledge that it can exist in more ways than one.
  
You are imperfect, permanently and inevitably flawed, and you are beautiful. –Amy Bloom  

Comments