I’d rather regret the things I’ve done than regret the things I haven’t done. –Lucille Ball

When I was in my teens, it was like I had the world on a string. I had absolutely everything I could ever want. I had come from a moderately affluent family who showered me in elaborate gifts and taught me the appropriate way in which to appreciate them. I was born with this ridiculous, innate musical talent that earned me awards that I barely even tried for. I had a wild imagination that to this day keeps me stimulated and inspired. I also had really, really, ludicrously enormous aspirations because my parents assured me that if I wanted something bad enough, if I worked for it hard and smart enough, I could be anything that I wanted. I could have anything I wanted.

I was the daughter of a man who played in the White House. Twice. I was the granddaughter of the man who threw a seventeen year old Billy Joel out of his house for putting his feet on the piano bench. I was a Visceglie, a child prodigy, a petite, upper middle class European with above average intelligence. I had all sorts of things coming to me. The world would forever be my oyster and I was destined to do amazing, marvelous things. Just ask my parents! They’re the ones who told me so.

I had a lot of incredible dreams and honestly, some of them were relatively achievable. My all time favorite to this day? Female Vocalist. I’d imagine myself in this dimly lit bar filled with Don Draper caliber men wearing pinstripe suits with suspenders, fedoras, and sparkly Cartier watches. Just sipping their martinis, mumbling amongst themselves until the lights dim completely, the curtains come up and I come out.

I would use one of those swanky, old school microphones and be dressed like Jessica Rabbit. (Probably not red though. I mean, let’s be real: I’ve got the dimensions to pull off a slinky dress like that but red? Red is not my color. Probably black. Or maybe dark green?)

I would insist on this all male jazz band to accompany me and celebrities would come from all over the world just to hear me onstage. I would be getting calls from Ray Charles, John Legend and Joss Stone to collaborate performances together and somewhere, in that Tropicana inspired night club, I would have a closet full of those aforementioned slinky dresses and Louboutin pumps. (It probably goes without saying but I would also obviously have a sick mini bar…) I would be that sexy songstress that everyone wants but knows they could never tame. The fiery brunette with a sweet taste for jazz and liquor. The girl with the velvet pipes.

Such a class act.

My one regret in life is that I’m not someone else. –Woody Allen

But I had other dreams too. I’ve always wanted to write a book. (I’m steadily working on that one.) I’ve always wanted to work for Interpol or the FBI. (Sadly, that one will probably never happen.) I’ve always wanted to be a psychologist and work with the chronically mentally ill. (I’m steadily working on that one as well.) I’ve always wanted to profile serial killers, study them in depth, to learn from them and understand them. I’ve also always been very fascinated by the Catholic religion. I once pondered (very seriously) moving to Italy and working for the Vatican.

But I guess that despite all that, I was just always going my own way.

When I was eighteen, I gave up all that and ran away from home. I remember when my mom would call me crying, telling me that I was making a monumental mistake, that running away was never any kind of solution. I remember this as clear as day, as if it was yesterday, I said to her, “I’m not running away from home. I’m a grown woman.” But the truth was that she was right. And even worse than that was the mistake I made was so colossal, it threw me all off course for a long time. It was life shattering.

So much had happened. I honestly thought I was making an adult decision, one my very family oriented parents would eventually come to appreciate. Because I presumed I was being so grown up. Way more mature than my eighteen years.

But what happened was it ruined them. My parents were heartbroken. I literally cannot even say this sentence out loud without crying but my mom said to me, not long after I left, “Kate, I sleep in your room, in your bed, because it smells like you. And I miss you so much.” I will never forget that. It’s a couple of measly sentences that will literally haunt me forever. I’ll never forgive myself for the way I disrupted the family. My sister didn’t talk to me for months because she felt that I had abandoned her. I had abandoned all of them.

I just packed my shit and left because I thought it was a good decision. I thought it was what I wanted. And the turnout was, I spent almost a year sleeping on the floor next to my boyfriend’s twin bed because “his back couldn’t take it” and he “had fires to fight tomorrow”.

That’s what I left home for. It was the worst, in some ways scariest, experience of my life.

To regret deeply is to live afresh. –Henry David Thoreau

I try not to have a lot of regrets in my life because honestly, I’m neurotic enough. But running away from home and unintentionally abandoning my family is something that I will never, ever forgive myself for. The sequence of events that followed that next year or so only further thickened my guilt.

My dad fell off a ladder during a hurricane cleanup. Then he had a series of five heart attacks that left him weak and unable to work for awhile. My mom was killing herself at work and at home picking up the slack because I wasn’t there to help. Sure, I went down on weekends here and there when I could, but I never made an impact. I jumped ship and it aged them both. All so I could be shacked up with a man who was terrible to me. And I mean goddamn terrible.

I will never forgive myself as long as I live.

I feel this perpetual, aching kind of loneliness whenever I remember those days. I would never trade the life I had now and honestly, I feel like I’m right where I’m supposed to be. But when I think of all that’s transpired, all of the pain and turmoil it appears that I put myself through, I feel like I just ruined my life. Like I was given a million dollars to do whatever I wanted with and instead of spending it wisely, I just dropped it out of a plane.

I mean, over time, I patched it all up and put things back together, only a band-aid to cover a fractured life. Eventually I got back on track but it took a long time to get there. It was sort of like I put all those dreams in a fireproof box and mailed them to hell. I got them back but they were a little warped in the fire. I just threw away all those things I loved and valued. I just pushed aside all those dreams and said, “You know what? I think I would rather be kicked around by a twenty year old volunteer fire fighter…” It was as if I was living somebody else’s life for three years.

These mistakes, these regrets, they’re the reason I incessantly punish myself. I drink them away every night but they still erode at my confidence. And to this day, they make me feel terrible.

We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment. –Jim Rohn

I’ve often heard people say things like, “If you learn from it, it wasn’t a mistake” or “Just keep living, what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger” and I suppose those things are true. Because obviously, no one has ever died from a broken heart. (Although if you were to ask my Grandpa Visceglie, he would tell you otherwise…) but these trials and tribulations, these moments that forever riddle you with self doubt and compunction, are they to be considered mistakes worth making? Mistakes that may have hurt for awhile but eventually, faded away as you found your place in society?

I mean, really. These things can brand you for life. Even if you move past it and are somehow forgiven, your mistake will always be there. The people affected could never forget because although it’s been mended, you’re still the one who chipped away at their heart. You’re the still the one, despite all your allegedly genuine apologies, who never once considered their feelings while you were doing whatever it is you wanted. You never mulled over how they might feel while you were busy doing you. What kind of terrible person goes through life like that? So haphazardly hurting people because you just had to do what you wanted to do. Because damn the consequences or whoever else gets hurt, you really wanted something.

I have made two big mistakes in my life and I’m telling you, despite the forgiveness I have been so graciously granted, I still feel like half a person. Because that hurt I caused, it never goes away.

Moral of the Crazy: It’s like that Joss Stone song, Right to Be Wrong. (If you haven’t heard it, please do yourself an enormous favor and LISTEN TO IT. It’s my anthem.) We’ve all got our own choices to make and we’re the ones left to deal with the repercussions. And the reality of it is that they aren’t always so pleasant. And they don’t always go away.

But mistakes can be learned from and we can become better people. No one is perfect but we try. And those mistake makers, well, sometimes they turn out to leave you pleasantly surprised.

We all make mistakes but they don’t label us. Maybe they instead help to shape us, persuade us to be more forthcoming and formidable. And at the end of it all, when we awake from our whiskey soaked dreams and guilt ridden hangovers, we possess the ability to try harder. To be better. To remember those people we so carelessly hurt the first time around.

And if we’re lucky, we learn not to make the same mistake twice.

The past is a great place and I don’t want to erase it or regret it. But I don’t want to be its prisoner either. –Mick Jagger     


Comments