In actual life, I’m a grumpy old bag. –Dawn French

I’ll be real with you: there are moments where I wake up, make myself three to five cups of coffee, put on my makeup, and leave my house in a great mood. To be honest, for the most part I have a generally sunny disposition. I obviously have my grumpy moments sometimes, as does everyone else, I’m sure. But usually, my demeanor is a relatively happy medium. I’m never super up or down. Just a normal, in between of the two.

But sometimes.

Sometimes I just fucking hate everyone.

To be honest, I think a lot of it stems from people taking total advantage of me. I get really aggravated when my tendency to be too nice seems to incessantly backfire. I find that my ability to always go out of my way for other people creates huge problems for me. I give people the shirt off my back only to stand naked in the street when it turns out that I might need something. Should I ask for the favor to be returned, all kinds of hell breaks loose. And I don’t like it.

And people tend to communicate these alleged misgivings via their Facebook statuses. Okay, A, like I don’t know that you’re talking about me. And B, what is this? If it doesn’t happen on Facebook, it doesn’t really exist? Is your life suddenly a reality show slotted to be watched by the likes of Honey Boo Boo viewers? If you’re trying to break my balls, it worked. Now get over yourself.

This is probably why I sit at home, watching Mad Men reruns and getting drunk by myself. Because people are goddamn greedy and terrible. (And also, a great deal of them? Really bad spellers. Just saying.)

I already explained this. I don’t like you. True, I don’t like most people, but I especially dislike you. I could start my own religion based on how much I dislike you. –G.A. Aiken

But my heart isn’t always as black as night. (Cue the Melody Gardot song.) I am not by any means a person who is insensitive or inconsiderate of other people’s feelings. On the contrary, actually. I try too hard to find the good in people. And sometimes, despite my inner hippie mentality, the reason I have to try so goddamn hard is because there isn’t any. As much as I’d like to live my life like it, the world is not revolving around a Marvin Gaye song. It’s rather unfortunate.

I go out of my way too frequently, get so absorbed in other individual’s problems that it actually physically affects me, and try way too hard to make things right. What’s difficult for me is that stuff will really bother me. I’ll stay up at night worrying that I’ve offended someone or possibly hurt their feelings. I will develop this legitimate complex that they’re either angry at me or angry about something that I can possibly fix. I tell myself that I may have the power to alleviate whatever ails them. Maybe that’s how I selected my particular career path.

But it can be a problem with my acquaintances and friends because this stuff troubles me. A lot. And the fact is that other people are not like me. They’re dreadful, ungrateful, and insensitive. They only care about themselves. And I fucking hate that. It’s like everyone on this planet is stuck in a gutter and I’m busy trying to pull them all out.

And what I don’t understand is how this kind of behavior, this kind of antagonistic, almost combative attitude, could ever be a rewarding way to live. It boggles me how an individual would ever intentionally act in such an unsavory, unsatisfactory manner. Because I’ll be real with you, my mom sometimes drives me absolutely crazy. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I love her. But she’s got that standard, German, farm fed, Chicago way of nagging the absolute shit out of me. But honestly, I mean, that’s most moms right?

Listen, I can get loud. It’s not often because I don’t want to damage my semi-talented vocal chords. My point is when I get even the slightest bit snippy with my mom, I feel really, really guilty. (That’s the Italian in me, I think. I don’t even like cursing in front of my mother. Sometimes it just happens.)

But let’s be real: I come from two of the craziest countries in Europe. I don’t let her know I feel bad (also the Italian in me), but I do. I really do. Even when I know I’m right and she’s pushing my buttons, when I feel like I’m totally justified to be cranky, I hang up and then I feel terrible. I’ll look over at my husband and say, “Was that mean? I was hard on her, wasn’t I? I should call her back, right?” And meanwhile, my mom is probably shaking her head, sipping her Merlot, turning up her Adele, and never giving it a second thought. But I feel terrible. Because I don’t like being this way. I don’t like raising my voice. I don’t like being intentionally hurtful. It’s not my style.

I’m not a dictator. It’s just that I have a grumpy face. –Augusto Pinochet

So I used to have this friend, and I use the phrase “used to” because I’ve since chosen not to talk to her anymore. (Again, not my style. But sometimes you’ve gotta do what you’ve gotta do.) Anyway, I’ve done so because this girl is really loud, harsh, relatively immature, and likely to fly off the handle for no particular reason. We’re talking Bad Girls Club: Season 1 status. (Anyone remember the “I run LA!” girl? Jesus, what a train wreck.)

But listen, I tried. I worked really, unfairly hard to maintain a friendship with this woman because I thought the minimal things we had in common were worth forging a bond over. She called out to my inner hood rat on some really warped level. But I was so, so wrong. Turns out, we had virtually nothing in common, former hood rats or otherwise, and it totally was not worth the effort. Not in the slightest.

I’ve always been very thoughtful, pensive, and sort of stuck in my own head. (Anyone who knows me knows that I have a very serious staring problem. This is because while I’m supposed to be working, counting the register, or learning about Evidence Based Practice, I’m thinking about a gazillion things. And staring at people seems to help me focus… and also apparently start a lot of fights in the Starbucks lobby.) But this former friend, on the contrary, had a habit of throwing her opinion around to anyone within earshot and she never seemed to care who she offended. She was always picking fights, habitually getting mad at everyone for virtually everything, claiming she worked harder than anyone else, and refusing to respect any kind of authority. But the reality of the situation was, her opinions were extremely closed minded and forgive me, but full of shit. Her fights never appeared to be justified, she didn’t work harder than anyone else, unless her job was continually checking her Facebook, and the reason no one appreciated the minute amount of work she did do was because she was so goddamn disrespectful that none of the limited good shit seemed to matter.

She was one of those entitled bitches, considering herself naturally deserving of everything, and lacking any decent form of manners enough to be appreciative of what she did possess. And despite it all, she deemed herself worthy of far bigger things. And I’ll be honest with you, that kind of attitude really got on my nerves. So eventually, despite my guilty conscience about being “mean” or “cold” to her, I slowly stopped doing things for her.

I stopped driving her places. I stopped paying for her breakfast. I stopped cooking for her stupid parties that she couldn’t afford to throw in the first place. And pretty soon, I stopped answering her text messages. I just sort of stepped back and moved on because I didn’t want people like that in my life.

Life is hard enough with good people. I don’t need the extra toxic ones making me all grumpy. I don’t need to be treated like yesterday’s garbage when I’ve been nothing but thoughtful, done nothing but go out of my way, and shown nothing but active listening when this ex homegirl needed to talk. (Which seems like ALWAYS. Just saying.)

And how did she return the favor? Slander me on Facebook and tell my friends what a shitty person I am. I choose not to address her personally because ain’t nobody got time for that. I instead decided to write this blog as a cautionary tale for individuals who are “painfully nice”, as one of my dearest friends put it.

But what I really wanted to say to her was: Shitty? Bitch, you DON’T KNOW shitty.

But since I’m a classy broad, I decided to skip it.

Moral of the Crazy: I don’t know why people find it appropriate to be just generally incorrigible. I don’t know how they can go to sleep at night being so vicious and unruly. When I’m mean (and we’re talking my definition of mean) to people, I feel bad about it for a long, long time. Even when they really goddamn deserve it. Because my thought process is: What if this person walks out in front of a bus tomorrow or gets killed by a drunk driver after leaving work, and the last thing I said to them was, “Keep my name out of your mouth, you ratchet, dirty Jersey bitch!” (Sorrrrry, that’s just my dad talking.) That’s not the kind of way I want to live. I don’t want to be that person. Ever. I’d rather just keep it inside and let it fester. Let them go on being annoying while I pretend that I don’t even know what happened.

Works like a charm.

(For those wondering: My dad used to take the stop sign route. True story: Guy picks on his sister when they’re leaving a Catholic cotillion on Long Island. He gets sick of the shit talking and puts the guys face through a stop sign. Still has the scar on his knuckles. But that’s not me. I’m 5’2”, not 6’2”.)

Honestly, I just find it easier to be agreeable. Life is easier when you don’t have foreseeable mistakes looming over you. And sometimes, when you’re good to people who aren’t certifiable histrionics, it can be rewarding.

Life is too short to be cold and conniving. I honestly believe that life is so much smoother, so much safer, and so much happier when your intentions are genuinely good.

So live everyday like it’s not only your last, but other’s as well. Because the sun is warm and bright (and is a natural source of Vitamin D!), there’s liquor stores on every corner (thank God!), and most people have a lot of good in them.

And those that don’t? Well at least you know that you tried.

I have decided to stick to love. Hate is too great a burden to bear. –Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.            


Comments