There is very fine line between loving life and being greedy for it. –Maya Angelou

When I was younger, a 105 pound waif of a third floor apartment dweller, I noticed that a lot of people weren’t really looking at relationships in terms of “the long haul”. And I’m not just referring this to men, although let’s be real, they do deserve a lot of the merit. I’m talking about me and women who are so focused on themselves and getting what they want that they lose all sight of how to act like decent people. They forget sometimes that other people have feelings and the likelihood of getting hurt. People can be greedy, selfish children who only think about themselves and their wants. It’s like people who check independent on their voter’s registration cards. That’s not fair, friends. You can’t just have all the good things from both aspects. Just pick a personality and stick with it! You’re making me crazy! (… crazier?)

Sometimes people just want to have their cake and eat it too. They want all the perks of being in a relationship like having a warm meal every night, a person to snuggle with while they watch Mad Men, someone to vent all their problems to, and a regular date for weddings. (That last one, in itself, is almost worth the relationship on its own. Finding dates for that shit is hard!) But at the same time, and maybe even to the same degree, they don’t want the strings or responsibilities. They don’t want commitments or restraints. They want to look forward to things that are fun and meaningless, easy like Sunday morning. They want to be like Don Draper when he ravages Midge on his lunch break and then goes home to Betty serving London broil in an apron. (Personally, I’m not an enormous fan of hippie, drug addict Midge but friends, who wouldn’t want that life? I mean, half the reason everyone loves Hugh Hefner is because they’re marveled at how he’s been able to maintain his “Playboy” lifestyle. Even now, at eighty-whatever the hell!)

But does that make it right? Does that make it fair? I mean, what about the person on the receiving end of this? What about their feelings? How can you preserve any kind of relationship quality?

Earth provides enough to satisfy every man’s needs but not every man’s greed. –Mahatma Gandhi

So with everyone running around doing whatever they want all the time, listening to Bobby Darin and drinking whiskey like it’s their job (… not a bad gig, if you ask me), wearing lavender dress shirts and charming the pants off of anyone who catches their eye, how do you determine what’s a real relationship and what’s just a fun little fling? How can you possibly decipher what’s just a harmless flirtation and what’s something worth keeping?

And aside from all the greed involved in living that Tony Soprano-esque lifestyle, how do you keep it all straight? I mean, are the flings just people to have fun with that you don’t have to buy dinner for? Is the fling reserved for kinky sexual fantasies that your spouse would most certainly judge you for even mentioning? Is it that the fling can’t figure out an Old Fashioned or who Billie Holiday is? What is it? Why do people need both? Because I’m going to go Guido on you right now: Ain’t nobody got time for that.

Perhaps it’s because in today’s day and age, we’re all conditioned to getting whatever we want, whenever we want. You want wedding ideas? Go on Pinterest. You missed an episode of Bob’s Burgers? No worries, it’s on demand. Want to listen to a personalized radio station with only the songs you love? Ditch the blank cd’s and download the Pandora app. Want alcoholic drinks to go? Move to New Orleans! (I HIGHLY recommend that city to anyone, by the way. It’s the most amazing place of ever.) We are a society of individuals that literally do not have to do anything for ourselves. Honestly, I don’t even know why I’m going to college. If you need mental help, just DVR Dr. Phil. That man covers every aspect of everything. In detail.

So with that mentality, you want a wife and a mistress? Why the hell not?! They’ve got an app for just about everything now. Just link up and pick the girl with the darkest curls and the greenest, emerald eyes. You can so easily have it, so why not? It’s only one, measly index finger click away, friends.

But on a serious note: I really just don’t understand. So much so that I’ve actually purchased books on the subject. Most currently, Mad Men: On the Couch. (Yes, I’m serious. I literally cannot wait to get my tiny, fifth grade hands on it.) These problems with loose ends make me crazy. I know so many people affected by this exact situation and I want to know why it happens. More accurately, I need to. My brain can only counteract so much chaos.

He who is not contented with what he has would not be contented with what he would like to have. –Socrates

I have this girlfriend who exhibits this brand of romantic chaos on the daily. She will incessantly tell me about how she wants a serious relationship, a man to come home to, and the chance to go on romantic dates. And also presumably, an opportunity to engage in all the wonderful things she’s been missing. She’s through with the partying and the inevitable truth that most boys met in bars don’t produce lasting relationships. (Except apparently mine…) She’s tired of the late nights, growing sick of the habitual loneliness, and craving something more stable. Something she can warm up to. A place her heart can call home.

But not eight days into the relationship, she finds that she no longer has any time to herself. She needs her space, a chance to breath, and a night out with the girls. But unfortunately, it never ends up as innocent as it starts.

Listen, things happen sometimes. People get drunk and they act stupid. They lose all regard for the ramifications and consequences of their terribly damaging actions. It’s not an excuse, by any means. It’s just the way it is. Sometimes you do something that feels so good at the time and then when you wake up in the morning feeling panicked, half dressed and probably still drunk, you think to yourself, “What am I fucking doing here…?” So you straighten your skirt, reapply your lipstick and promise to live life on your absolute best behavior. For real, this time.

… Until the next time it happens.

I really think that sometimes people are just really goddamn selfish. It isn’t that the relationship they’re in is bad, or even dissolving. It could just be something minute that they think they can’t live without, something they aren’t getting at home that they believe they’ve found in another person. And after a certain point, they’ve maintained both relationships successfully, so why should they have to give one up…?

Sort of like with my friend. She’s so determined to have this hypothetical freedom, this undying liberty to nibble off whatever plate she wants. But in reality, she doesn’t want to give up her boyfriend. She wants the best of both worlds. And I guess I understand and can agree to some extent, it makes minimal sense. But I just think that this type of lifestyle devalues both unions. It’s like my mom used to say: Anything worth doing is worth doing right.

Moral of the Crazy: I’m not saying that there’s anything wrong with being a self proclaimed eternal bachelor. I’m not saying that I know anything about relationships or that I’ve never done anything wrong. In a world that’s accepted swingers, gay marriage (#equality), computer hackers and daytime drinking (I’m particularly fond of that last one…), I’m not going to pretend that I know what I’m talking about. Because friends, I don’t. (Unless it has to do with music, serial killers, or whiskey.)

What I’m saying is that this whole “having your cake and eating it too” is a common mentality among individuals. People want what they can’t have and realistically, when they can have it, they’re probably too old to use it. They want to be romanced but they want to be free to get shitfaced with random men at eclectic bars in Tampa. They want someone to take care of them when no one else will but they don’t want to be tied down or anchored to something. They want to slow dance to Frank Sinatra with a man as debonair as Don Draper, but they don’t want to commit to doing his laundry forever and ever, as long as they both shall live.

Personally, I drink my whiskey with water and I take my men settled. Logical. (Preferably with dark hair and eyes.) If only because my little brain seems to lack that particular adjective. I very obviously can’t dictate what anyone does at any given time, but I’d really prefer if I was his only lady. Because I think after all that cooking, cleaning and who knows what else, I think I deserve it. (Probably a good thing that the man I chose has disgustingly outstanding moral behavior and loves Italian food.)

I just think, in this situation, you should put all your eggs into only one basket. Because contrary to what Bobby Brown says, there IS something wrong with spreading yourself around. (IE, STDS, inevitable “medical expenses” and proverbial divorce proceedings.)

So take care of the one you’re with. And finish one relationship before you jump into another one because complications cause heart disease and premature wrinkles. And there’s never an excuse worthy enough for being greedy.

So the unwanting soul sees what’s hidden and the ever-wanting soul sees only what it wants. –Lao Tzu


Comments