That which does not kill us makes us stronger. –Friedrich Nietzsche

       
You know how sometimes, you’re in this great relationship that you assume is valuable, that you foresee going on for, I don’t know, forever? You possess this sense of hubris about yourself and your relationship because you assume things are just going swimmingly. Sort of like Kimber Henry and Christian Troy sans the drugs and kinky horizontal refreshments. Have you ever been in that situation where things are going great one day and then it’s just crisis mode the next? Do you ever look back to yesterday and drive yourself crazy wondering how things got so destroyed and mixed up?

I’ve often heard people mumble that expression, “What doesn’t kill you makes you stronger,” during times of trial. It’s as if those few words are suppose to suffice because, welp, it didn’t kill you! So there’s always that… And no matter how many goddamn times I listened to that Kelly Clarkson song, it never grew on me.

But I suppose that despite all that, there is a degree of truth to that saying. Maybe all that suffering, over time, hardens our hearts. Maybe, if we’re damaged enough, all the little stuff stops bothering us because we’ve endured so much worse. Or maybe, all the bumpy roads just led us to where we’re supposed to be. Those times of trial and turmoil led us right here: to our happy place, our safe heaven, a heart’s desire. To our destiny.


Any idiot can face a crisis. It’s day to day living that wears you out. –Anton Chekhov

 I personally know of so many relationship situations where intimate relations go sour and then, in the midst of heartache and crisis, individuals stumble upon something really great. Their heartbreak is soothed by this gentle, guiding light they engaged with in the Starbucks line. All of those awful feelings of mistrust and unease, those feelings of toxicity, are erased by a few sweet words exchanged in passing. One person can smooth those troubled waters simply by taking two seconds to care about another person.

There was this tragic couple I used to know. And I’m not talking about Lindsay Lohan repeat cocaine benders kind of tragic. I’m talking about a contaminated, train wreck couple who literally got off on tearing each other apart. These two individuals just brought out the absolute worst in each other. The slightest things would trigger an outburst and that outburst would wreck physical havoc. Bumps and bruises became commonplace, property was damaged, insults were thrown and every day, little pieces of their heart got chipped away in the process.

For awhile, it seemed like nothing could alleviate the pain this tumultuous relationship caused. It just seemed like one tragedy after another, this terrible relationship tainting everyone that preceded it. The constant animosity that existed between them seemed to just carry on with every new person they encountered. They were on this long bumpy road that seemingly led to nowhere. Sure, maybe all those things didn’t kill them, but were they really making them stronger, more formidable people?
This is a good sign, having a broken heart. It means we have tried for something. –Elizabeth Gilbert

I just remember thinking, you have to be learning something from this. You have to be gaining something from this experience, something besides moxie and an intolerance for yelling, that you can take with you into the next interpersonal relationship. There has got to be a reason you were made to endure this. Something besides your own stupidity had to have brought you here. I just honestly believe, in my heart of hearts, that you were given this calamity in order to walk away with something. Something you can hold in your hands. Something you can use. Something you can share.

Something that will make you stronger.

I never thought of myself as a wise individual, someone who was widely educated in the ways of the world. I never envisioned myself as a person who could take a hit and just keep getting up. Although my DNA states otherwise, I was always this wimpy, little train wreck. A soft hearted woman who would get her feelings hurt when her idiot ex-boyfriend called her an unsavory name. I would hurt to my core, could feel it in the pit of my stomach, those hurt feelings burning a hole in my insides like an ulcer.

But somehow, I kept getting back up.

Like the stubborn, pasta fed, Indiana bred, Marco Island raised European that I am. I would stare into the pale blue eyes of that behemoth piece of New Jersey garbage and think to myself, taunting him, “What else ya got? My grandmother had more attitude…”

Could it be that these people who hurt us, who chill us with their words and injure  us with their actions, commit these atrocities that outwardly chip away at us, are exactly what we need to keep us coming back? These things that tear us down, could they actually be helping us in the long run? Could they be building our longstanding character? Strengthening our backbones? Hardening our hearts? Thickening our skin? Enabling us to capture the hearts of individuals far more worthy? These things that hurt us but don’t kill us, could they somehow make us stronger?

Moral of the Crazy: I wish I could say that I knew all the answers. I’ve spent actual days of my life studying people, trying to figure out why it is that people do what they do. I’ve read books about why individuals are violent, why they kill each other, and manipulate juries to believe whatever it is that benefits them. I could study my whole life, the inner workings and trappings of these things and I’ll probably just never understand. People just are as they are, friends. Without sense or reason.

But I want to believe that those hurtful things that can’t knock you down are benefiting you in some way. I need to believe that what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. Because if not, why else bother to get back up? Why not just succumb to your demise? Your inevitable defeat? It just can’t be so.

You have to get back up.

Because you have to keep on living.


When written in Chinese, the word “crisis” is composed of two characters. One represents danger and the other represents opportunity. –John Fitzgerald Kennedy



Comments