Never give up; for even rivers someday was dams away. –Arthur Golden



When I was growing up, I had this idea of what I thought love would be like. I envisioned operatic music during fights and reconciliations, bombastic kisses where a rugged man would grab my cheeks and devour my lips, leaving me rapt with desire. That common dream of a man rescuing me and then drinking red wine with me on a checkered picnic blanket while we watched the waves crash on the surf. That my proverbial John Cusack or Jon Hamm was going to push through a crowd of people to grab me possessively by the arms and say, “Baby, don’t get on that plane. I love you more than a lyric loves a melody. Here’s looking at you, kid.”

Or maybe something more reminiscent of the way Dr. Phil always walks off the stage and reaches out his hand to Robin and then they walk off together? How tender is that? I mean, the guy is like, 6’4” and he won’t walk off stage without her? How affectionate, gentle and romantic for an enormous, seemingly scary Oklahoma boy who appears more likely to kidnap her than hold her hand?

So quite obviously, I’ve seen more than my fair share of romantic comedies (I’m particularly fond of When Harry Met Sally, Runaway Bride and Must Love Dogs. In fact, I could probably recite them to you…) but despite all the novelty and perpetual dinner party conversations concerning the archetypal grand gesture, there is something to be said about a big show of love and affection. There is something steamy and invoking about someone just bursting at the seams to exhibit their feelings for you. And there is something so heartwarming about the fight for love. 

Whether it’s professing your love on the jumbo-tron at a Florida State game or proposing marriage on top of the Empire State building, there is something to be said about staking that claim. There isn’t a woman out there who doesn’t value such sentimentality. A man fighting for and proclaiming their love for a woman can be fabulously intoxicating.

Of course, I have grown up, even if just a bit and I do realize that things don’t always play out that way. Real life can sometimes get in the way of romance, feelings, and chivalrous grand gestures. Sometimes it’s that people get comfortable and it becomes easy to just live in a relationship. Sex is routine, it’s like getting your teeth cleaned. Sure, you love it and it’s rejuvenating and refreshing (…am I the only one who likes getting my teeth cleaned?) but it’s something you have to squeeze into your everyday life amidst school, work, family and other scheduling conflicts. Dates are like distant dreams in the far off future. You can see them but you can’t touch them. Kind words seem to be hurried, few and far between. Because life just happens. It gets in the way.

Life is pain and the enjoyment of love is an anesthetic. –Cesare Pavese

I have this very dear girlfriend who has been on a roller coaster of turbulent and violent love. She was involved in a fiery relationship with a headstrong, angry man who she loved to the point of heart explosion. And despite all of her efforts, he didn’t have the tools to show her love. He didn’t have the tools to properly maintain his anger. I’ve often heard my professors say that anger is only a mask to cover hurt feelings. But in situations like these, I often believe that the people you should come to with these feelings of inadequacy or whatever, are your loved ones. However instead, problems like money and jealousy caused things to fall apart. He would erupt completely irrationally and leave her with nothing but a Doom’s Day contingency plan: Do what I say or face my consequences.

Relatively soon, her choice became clear. She could obey or she could be his punching bag, his sounding board for hateful words often stemmed from jealousy, and his dirty little secret.

But some time passed, she got away from the aforementioned volatile, explosive wreck of a man child, although not entirely unscathed. She had more than her fair share of scars, both physical and emotional. For a while, she became a bit withdrawn, residing for a stint in this seemingly dark place. She was understandably stuck in the shadows, becoming a frail, sad fraction of the woman I once knew. She was instead becoming someone that I failed to recognize.

But I knew why. She was exhausted of the fight, tired of pushing herself to be the silent matron he was forcing her to be and burned out by incessantly being beat down by him. She had lost her fight because she chose to bow out and give up. She wasn’t going to ride hard into battle with him anymore.

You don’t walk away if you love someone. You help the person. –Hillary Clinton

But again, some time passed and she met someone, just randomly at work. And it happened like it does in the movies. They met, they locked eyes, they fell in love and it was dazzling and magical, like a Marvin Gaye song. Instead viewing her like a damaged piece of pitiful human being, he looked upon her with fresh, non-judgmental eyes and saw who she really was. A gorgeous woman with sparkling brown eyes that danced with the sunlight. An intelligent, funny woman who had a laugh that warmed his heart, a sense of grace that captured his soul, and a touch that set his skin on fire. She was a woman worth fighting for and he had just engaged in the most romantic, whimsical and worthwhile battle of his entire life.

Sometimes I truly believe that fight for love is quite possibly the most pragmatic decision one can make. To walk away from something so important and wonderful, well, it’s like giving up on life. It’s like just standing like a statue frozen in time, while life passes you by. Life just keeps on living around you and all the while you’re stuck in the net. Like a swordfish or a whacked off mobster.

I hear a lot of people, young people in their twenties, say they’ve given up on love, they’ve had an enormity of bad, hurt filled experiences, and their heart has been so irrevocably injured that they will never recover. I just feel like, no matter what your age, you are far too young for that mentality.

Even when love isn’t enough… sometimes it is. –Stephen King

One of the primary reasons that I am so in love with the movie Walk the Line is because above all things, it’s a love story. Throughout all their issues, Johnny and June never gave up on each other. They both had terrible, failed marriages and yet, they knew love still had to exist because they had a connection that begged to be explored. When Johnny hit rock bottom and walked all the way to June’s mom’s house from wherever the hell he was, she asked him, “You walked here…?” in disbelief. (And she’s so cute about it too, the way she pretends not to care about him.) And then he just smiles drunkenly, sways in the grass with his crooked grin and replies, “Yes, ma’am. I’m on the June Carter love walk.”

That’s one of the best sentences I have ever heard. Best, most romantically insightful lines from a movie of ever.

There are times when I get really bitter and I think to myself, “People are just terrible creatures. Love doesn’t exist within all of us and maybe some of us are meant to be alone.” Or, “It’s better to be miserable and alone, rather than with someone and miserable. People don’t change, they just learn sneakier ways to hurt you. The only person you can trust is Carmine the Cheese Man,” and other bitter Italian thoughts cloud my brain. And to be honest, friends? Sometimes I really do believe those things.

Moral of the Crazy: But sometimes I don’t.

There are also people out there who are worth fighting for. It’s like Dolly Parton once said, “Storms make trees take deeper roots.” Sometimes people really are good hearted and you just have to break their guards down in order for them to let you into their souls. Sometimes you just have to fight for love. And sometimes, it’s really, really worth it.

One of my male friends (Bless his bitter, black heart.) once told me that I shouldn’t write about these sappy love stories. He said that my writing better suits my sarcastic, light hearted personality. And honestly, I’ve heard many people whine and complain about anything that involves professing their feelings and admitting that they love and care for someone. When I was younger, I once dated a man who was so tortured by love, so convinced (no joke) that he was going to die by 28, that he purposely closed everyone out and drank his nights away. He only had a rocks glass of liquor and a bimbo of the week to keep him warm. That and memories of the alleged woman who got a way. The one who broke his heart.

And you know what I say? I say fuck those people. Let me tell you something. It’s stories like these that save people. Stories about love and devotion and finding true love when you’ve lost everything. Stories about being so down and out that you have virtually nothing left to live for until you meet that one person that saves your life. That’s what truly saves people.

So fight for your love because some people are worth the battle. Some people are worth buying life insurance for. Some people are worth hurting for. And some people are worth loving until you take your last breath.

Never, never, never give up. –Winston Churchill    

Comments