A bond between souls is ancient. Older than the planet. -Dianna Hardy

One day, a co-worker and I were discussing relationships. We carried on an overture that went through the good and the bad, with stories that seemed implausible and those that warmed our hearts. Relationships can be extraordinarily stressful sometimes, depending on the characters involved. And while I've always fancied myself something of a throwback, free loving hippie, when it comes to love and relationships, I attempt to be as ultimately practical as I can. If nothing else, for the sake of self-preservation. It's always a good idea to watch out for who plays with your heart because in the end, you're the only one getting burned. And such is life.

Anyway, my co-worker was sharing his stories of past and present love and he mentioned something that sort of shook my trees a bit. It was a concept calls the Twin Flame and despite my long running tree hugging roots, I had never heard of such a thing. So I googled it. (Thank God for them internets..)

It proved to be... and interesting theory, turns out. ( Although to be honest, I don't know if interesting is really the correct word to use but I figured that, demented, was a little bit judgemental.) Have you ever heard people ramble on and on about their alleged soul mates and how they've found "The One" and blah, blah, blah? ( You all know exactly who I'm talking about, friends: those people who are newly engaged and still actually like the person they're with...?) Well, according to these alleged prophesy tellers (who have clearly done their Twin Flame research), the soul mate only exists in order to mold you into the person you need to be to find your Twin Flame. IE, the sharer of your soul. Listen friends, I don't know what these crazy gypsies want from me, okay? I can barely share a three bedroom house with someone, let alone my soul! Tell me that this is just a figment of my imagination and that I didn't really find like, forty-seven privately maintained websites dedicated to this noise!

There is no such thing as a soul mate. And who would want there to be? I don't want half of a shared soul. I want my own damn soul. -Rachel Cohn

The semi weird (Again, I haven't been judgemental a day in my life. No need to start now.) thing is that people really take this theory very seriously. One website I visited even went as far as to insist that the love story written within the critically acclaimed The Last of the Mohicans was based on the Twin Flame phenomenon. (Anyone who's known me for longer than three seconds knows that this is my third favorite movie after Cadillac Records and Walk the Line. So you can understand my skepticism on this idea.) I mean, I guess you could look at it that way if you consider the movie rather than the book (since the book doesn't end as romantically as the Daniel Day Lewis and Madeline Stowe depiction) but it's pretty vague, in my opinion. A VERY loose example.

Another website (Or it could have been the same one. Who remembers? It's not like I'm quoting it or trying to profit from the idea. Don't make me get out my MLA handbook.) was viewing the Twin Flame from a far more personal perspective. The author prefaced with something about her husband being her soul mate. (Always a good disclaimer...) but that she didn't believe that he was her Twin Flame. I'm sorry, but if my husband sputtered out this nonsense to me, I would almost certainly flick him in his face. And I'm not even a violent person! Can you imagine what a slightly more unstable person would do? Or my sister? That's just a crime waiting to happen, friends.

I recognized you instantly. All of our lives flashed through my mind in a split second. I felt a pull so strongly toward you that I almost couldn't stop it. -J. Sterling

The thing about the Twin Flame is that apparently you're sort of born as one soul that eventually splits. As you go on living your multiple lives via reincarnation, you are on an incessant journey to find each other through the ages. And if you happen to be lucky enough to find a soul mate (NOT to be confused with a Twin Flame), you're set because they were sent to earth to further mold you into the soul you're supposed to be in order to be properly drawn to your one and only Twin Flame. Apparently it's like the depiction of Heaven in that you will just recognize your Twin Flame, more in a spiritual, soulful sense rather than a physical one. It's also said that you and your twin flame will actually look alike, as weird as that sounds.

It all sounds rather... romantic, doesn't it? Do you know that there are actually named stages for the Twin Flame relationship? Yes. Seven. Seven stages, each readily equipped with their own specifically unique characteristics.

I scrolled past an ever informative Twin Flame article to read the comments, expecting to find sarcastic quips about how ridiculous the whole idea sounded. I was very wrong. Call me a cynic but... people say I'm crazy?

Moral of the Crazy: It could very well be true that we are all just dainty little half souls, wandering the world aimlessly in search for our twin flames. It's just a strange idea to me to be constantly searching, life through reincarnated life. What if this isn't the life where I meet up with my Twin Flame? Do I just go on loving man after man, all the while knowing he won't be my forever life partner? I mean, what a sad and disappointing waste that would be! Why even bother?

So my opinion? Believe whatever weird little fairy tales you want but I've found my one TRUE love. I've already found my forever. My compass. My true north. I don't want to live in a world where he isn't the constant reminder of why I'm on this planet.

But that's just me.

Thoughts on the Twin Flame phenomenon?

You be strong. You survive. You stay alive, no matter what occurs! I will find you. No matter how long it takes, no matter how far, I will find you. -Nathaniel "Hawyeye" Poe, The Last of the Mohicans 


The Crazy version of Dear Abby:

Need advice on something vital or love induced? Have some gossip that you desperately need to share? Want to swap idiot boyfriend stories?

Share your stories with me at katemeyer@tampabay.rr.com with the subject line Crazy Face and be anonymously featured in my blog! 

Comments