"It just is what it is. It's not always fair." -Lauren Conrad

So here's the thing: I love Lauren Conrad. (Yes, that's right. The Etta James obsessed throwback just officially admitted to watching the staged California cliche, The Hills, via the interweb. But listen. I have immaculate taste in music and that's all that really matters...) No, but I must profess my undying love for LC. I think she's very beautiful (and oddly enough people have deemed me her doppelganger. No joke.), has wonderful taste in fashion, and has proven herself to be something of a renaissance woman.

But do you remember that episode where she told Heidi, very diplomatically, that "it just is what it is..."? She looked over at Heidi with those big, hazel eyes and continued, "It's not always fair." I'm sorry, but what is that? It is what it is? What does that even mean? And not even just from a female friendship standpoint. It's just like those people who threaten their boyfriends or girlfriends with the ending of a relationship every time they have a fight. Forgive me, but how can you be so blase about such things? Is the relationship seemingly so unimportant? Do you just NOT care so much that you can so easily throw ANY relationship around so nonchalantly? That just seems incredibly careless to me. I mean, how do you go through your days without any sense of meaning...?

Although most of you already know this, I care about people. Almost to the point where it's a fault. Unlike some of my stronger acquaintances, I have never been able to just write people off. You know how people always use that expression, "It's not in my blood"? Well, let me tell you something, friends: Writing people off is MOST CERTAINLY in mine. I come from a long line of stubborn Germans and mountain Italians. These people will write you off faster than a charity donation. But listen, that's not me. I am out to find the good in people. Not everyone is out to get you. Sanchino Corleone's outcome notwithstanding.

I just don't understand that dismissive, "Oh, well it just is what it is." This is mildly reminiscent of my grudge rant. If someone has threatened your life, or that of someone who is uber important to you, then alright. Write them off. Slash their tires. Drive a semi through their house in Jackson Heights. Put some arsenic in their spaghetti. Block them on Facebook. But to respond to something so crazy and minute with it is what it is? No. *typical Katie dismissive hand gesture* FIX IT. Talk that nonsense out and make it better. Like my sister's cheerleading coach once said to me with her red hair and big, green eyes, "You can never have too many friends."

And as far as romantic relationships, there are times when no amount of Aretha Franklin and Joss Stone can soothe the average broken heart. It's okay that talking is hard but I don't understand how people just give up on someone who once inspired them. How is it, for example, that he will claim "it is what it is", while she's locked in her room looking at old pictures of them together and remembering the millions of places that they've been? How can he be so free and cavalier while she's crying because she hears some stupid song that reminds her of him? He's bonding with a freakishly tall Victoria's Secret model or Jenna Marbles but it just is what it is? Is this some sort of sick joke, friends?!

I guess I just don't understand the human race's propensity to give up on people. I remember once my sister and I were talking about how we were losing our faith in humanity. It's unreal how people just... for lack of a better phrase, don't care about anyone but themselves. How do you put so much effort into a relationship that you can just so easily toss aside, friendship or otherwise? And how does it become such a one sided decision to just one day wake up and declare that it is what it is? I mean, more especially if it's a true friendship, then stories and dark secrets have been exchanged. How do you just give up?

Moral of the Crazy: Here's the thing: Watch The Story of Us. Michelle Pfieffer says, "You don't just GIVE UP." If you want it, work for it. Good friends, good soul mates don't come along so often. And let me tell you something, they don't all look like Mickey Rourke circa 1986. All it takes is a blink of an eye and you've lost them to cancer, a car accident, anger, or even worse: someone who's found them and can see what they're worth. Someone who will love them the way you should have. Just do me a solid and cherish those that you love. And if things don't work out, no matter how angry you are, promise me you'll answer their text message.

And don't say that it is what it is. Because all it takes is a glass of good, Irish whiskey (or Sweet Red Roo), a little bit of Amy Winehouse (or Al Greene), and that cute little smirk that gets girls like me every time. I promise that it will all be forgotten. It works for me at least. (And living room dancing always helps...)

"Sometimes it takes a friend to make a picture perfect but a picture perfect friendship…well, that’s just ethos." -Carrie Bradshaw


Comments