Diamonds are a thug's best friend. -Elizabeth Jayne Liu

"I've asked you forty different ways and it's time you came up with a fresh answer. You're my best friend. Marry me." -Johnny Cash (Joaquin  Phoenix), Walk the Line


Recently, a very dear, dear friend of mine got engaged during a full-fledged lightning storm. It was probably one of the most romantic things I've ever witnessed and it immediately caused me to glare over at my husband and mutter, "Well, THAT was sweet, babe...." Obviously, I was implying that his trip ACROSS THE COUNTRY to propose to me on my birthday was inferior in every way... (Let's be real, friends: there is a very good reason that this blog is penned "Crazy Face".)

I guess we can't all propose onstage, on tour a la Johnny Cash but ladies can't help but get all caught up in the hype of romantic proposals. Quite obviously, over-the-top, romantic proposals and good, solid relationships are inexplicably linked. What else would create a successful marriage, after all? Trust? Love and affection? Pssh.... girl, please.

About one hundred years ago, I was on a plane headed to Chicago to visit my parents for Christmas. Okay, let me share two things with you:

1) I HATE THE COLD. I hate when people say that they love the cold because that's a big, big lie. No one likes that shit. It's terrible. It's the stuff nightmares are made out of: cold weather and space shuttles. That is some seriously terrifying shit.

2) I am a very nervous flyer. I usually try to get drunk and fall asleep but they'll only serve you so many Bloody Marys at seven a.m. (.... kind of greedy, those airlines. And something of a buzz kill, turns out.)

So anyway, I'm on the plane headed to weather closely resembling that of Antarctica, nervously sipping my Absolut Bloody Mary and trying to figure out how LeAnn Rimes stays so damn skinny when the guy in the seat next to me stands up (clearly ignoring the fasten seat belt sign) and says, "She must be crazy because she just agreed to marry me!" I choked on my drink and frowned over at them because up until that moment, I had spent most of the plane ride formulating the break-up convo I was planning to have with my boyfriend when I got back to Florida. [Sidenote: He didn't take it so well, turns out. Apparently, I'm this huge catch...]

Anyway, to this day, I think back on that moment with a LACK of fondness. I mean, what idiot takes his girlfriend to Florida on vacation (which was the story, I later found out...) and then proposes ON THE PLANE RIDE BACK? Is that some kind of sick joke??

What are some of your favorite proposal stories? How did you/your man propose? Better still, how did you trick that snide stewardess into that third Bloody Mary...?

"Come and live in my heart and pay no rent." -Samuel Lover






Comments